In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Astounding World Record (pending)

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
This is one of the most amazing feats of precision shooting ever recorded. In an IBS 600-yard Benchrest match today at the Piedmont range (Rutherfordton, NC), Rodney Wagner shot a 0.349 five-shot group at 600 yards. That smashes the existing 0.699 IBS Light Gun Record (and it's way smaller than the NBRSA record as well). To top that, the group was centered up for a 50-2X score, which establishes another record (50 score with small-group tie-breaker). Rodney was shooting a 17-lb IBS Light Gun with a Brux barrel chambered for the 6mm Dasher, a popular improved version of the 6mm BR Norma cartridge. Rodney was shooting 32.5 grains of Varget, with CCI 450 primers, and Berger 108gr BTs, seated .020 away from the lands.

Now this would make a so-so 100 yard group or an O.K. 200 yard group but this is a 600 Yard group:

wagnerrecord600yardbenc.jpg

Here is the rest of the technical data:

Equipment:

BAT Model B action (RBLP Rt Eject),
Brux HV-contour barrel (29"),
Jewell trigger,
March 10-60x52mm (Tactical knobs, Burris Rings),
Shehane ST1000 fiberglass Tracker stock.

Chambering: 6mm Dasher (.268" Neck, .114" Freebore, Necks turned to 0.265")

Load: Lapua 6mmBR brass formed to 6mm Dasher, 32.5 grains Hodgdon Varget, CCI 450 Primers, Berger 108gr Boat-Tails seated .020" away from lands (jumping).

Best.

Best.

Comments

• DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is an amazing 600 yard group!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure I can do that from 600 inches!

That is crazy good.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Wow! Nice.......thanks for sharing [:)]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fantastic work by both the man and his machine(s). Heck of a job doping the wind.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing that tiny, itsy, bitsy "group photo" and some of the particulars. Just about unbelievable. What a wake-up call.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mean no disrespect for any record setting shooters. These are just some thoughts that I have been running with for a while.

quote:I am not worthy

Most of us aren't. But give this a little consideration before feeling too low:

When has one of these folks shot a group such as this back-to-back on the same day?

I can answer that, NONE.

I would also ask when was the last record set by the same person as their previous record, for long range groups?

I can answer that as well, NONE.

Now, if we were racing for the land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats, you have to have two(2) back-to-back record setting runs on the same day in order to claim the record. Try to convince the IBS and the NBRSA that this would be the ultimate in records.

I take nothing away at all from any of the shooters who have been placed in the record book. Obviously they have worked at the processes in order to achieve what they did. But I can suggest that maybe some of this is luck and a fluke when the stars converge and the moon is in the seventh house.

The next move by the rules committee will certainly be to make a smaller target as a form of handicap. This is what happened with F-Class.

Best.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

Thanks for sharing. No doubt there is LUCK involved. But, as I have come to realize moving from bench to long range bench and tactical, you may not get the tiny little groups, but they all require of a lot of forethought before that trigger is pulled.
    What happened here was the moon WAS in the seventh house, the stars had converged (in alignment with the sun), all preceded by the shooter really being able to focus in and do exactly what he had trained to do so many times on the practice range. He saw everything he was supposed to and called all of it right.

Instead of being intimidated by this, I hope that every person on the journey for ultimate accuracy, marks this as a milestone to achieve one day. Much like walking a pilgrimage. You cannot attain what you have not set out to do. Keep trying and figuring out what did and did not work. Apply what you find. Push those days when it's like you have the tightest grip on it, and just can't miss and can call every shot. Don't just give up one day and think it's too hard. And when you know you've reached your very best, be proud of your milestone. Not everyone makes that.[;)]
  • distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well he missed every shot but if he keeps on practicing he'll get better and maybe even hit the bulls eye someday.[:)]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Well he missed every shot but if he keeps on practicing he'll get better and maybe even hit the bulls eye someday.[:)]

Don't you mean [}:)][}:)][}:)] ??
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Don't you mean [}:)][}:)][}:)] ??

Actually I like this one better. Evil2-1.gif