In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

high price hunting bullets

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Question for you hunters.

When building your hunting reloads, how many bullets (high price special bullets)would you normally be willing to purchase to build up your "special" load, sight the gun, and load for hunting?

Most of the special bullets seem to come in 25 per package, so is it 1-2-3 or more boxes? (Assume bullets at list price for answer)

Information appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost every gun I shoot and load for gets mostly one load with jacketed and cast bullets except the shotguns.

Rough sighting or breaking in a barrel can be done with nearly any bullet. Partial boxes found at gun shows are often good bargains. I use cast bullets to fire form all my brass. Some times I shoot cast just for trigger time. You would be surprised to see the groups that can be work up with them. I'm still shooting full tilt 44 Mag for less than a 2 bucks a box not counting my time.

Once I find the load I try and stock the bullet and powder with enough brass to all run out about the same time. Rifles get at least 200 new cases, pistols 500. I figure 5 reloads for rifle and 10 for pistol. I have 45-70 and 44 Mag that have been to range 50+ times.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy 100 bullets. 50 bullets will usually give you a good load ladder, another 15-20 to verify the most accurate load, and then load the remainder for hunting. Then buy a another box to have on the shelf.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. My reason for asking was for one of my listings I was selling 4 new boxes (100 bullets)and people were paying much more per bullet for a single box from other ads, and my frt. was much cheaper.

I'll run the ads again with a "fixed" price per box with PPD frt.

I'm not a hunter any more and have never reloaded this high of quality bullet before, so I thought maybe I just offered to big of a lot.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What bullet you selling?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .308 Bear Claw.

I'll post them again. I've never used them, but from what I've read they're one of the best. My ad did not show the box price, only the total, so the price looked high compared to the people selling a single box. I think the "fixed price" with the total number of boxes is the way to go, but I'm open to a better idea.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Insted of buying a box of 100 bullets that might not work in your gun you can order a smaller package from BulletProofSamples.com to work up your load
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    google had 10 boxes of 25 for $20 each + shipping on .308 150 gr trophy bonded.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys, thanks for the input. I'm not trying to buy or use these bullets. Charlie, the ad you found was mine.

They do come in boxes of 25 per carton. I was trying to figure out the best way to "sell them" since people were buying the same thing in smaller lots for much more money.

As stated above I'll try a GB listing in a different style.

Again, I appreciate the info.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    What I have done is select several conventional bullets of similar weight to the premium bullet for load development. Once I have that information I can move quickly up the ladder to a good load for the premium bullet, using about 18-20 bullets. In the course of shooting the various conventional bullets at top loadings I'll note the groupings. Then I'll shoot a group with the premium and see where it goes. Generally it will be very close to one of the conventional bullets- so then I can use the conventional bullets for practice then a couple sighters with the premium to verify sight settings and we're off to the hunt. So 40-50 rounds would be the minimum of premium bullets, provided there were no problems and there was a bullet that mirrored the premium regarding max load and shot placement.