In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Load needed for .357 magnum

ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
I have Bullseye powder and Federal primers and Remington 125gr.jhp bullets to reload for my .357 magnum. I have checked my books and found nothing. I have emailed Alliant powder company 10 days ago and never received a response. I have called them and left a message on the answering machine and never received a respsonse and also have called 4 times today without anyone answering. So I need help from you guys if anyone knows a good recipe. What is a good lower and upper limit in grains for this combination? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 5.8g with a 158g LSWC it's about 1100 FPS. start in the middle and find one you like.

125 grain JHP or JSP (Jacketed Hollow or Soft Point)
    Bullseye 8.4 gr. 1,550 FPS (this is very hot)

http://www.reloadammo.com/
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman 49th Ed Starting 6.5 gr Bullseye 864 fps 21,000 CUP, Max. 8.6 gr 1315 fps 38,400 CUP using Hornady 125 gr jacketed HP, federal case and CCI 550 primers OAL 1.590"
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load Books USA:

Sierra Bullets, 7.4min1200fps/8.3max1300fps
    Alliant Powder, 8.4max 1550fps
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful loading .357 Magnum with Bullseye. The case WILL hold a double charge. Likely cause of the only gun ever demolished on my local range.
  • ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys thanks for your help and information. Hawk Carse Thanks for the heads up, you can never be reminded enough to be careful. I will get started loading hopefully this weekend. It is a shame, a powder company does not care enough about their customers safety to return a call or email. I will not be buying any more Alliant powders. Thanks again guys!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Be careful loading .357 Magnum with Bullseye. The case WILL hold a double charge. Likely cause of the only gun ever demolished on my local range.

+100, Alliant doesn't recommend Bullseye for 357 loads [xx(]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

+1

Win 296 or Titegroup is what I use for heavy & light loads.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Revolvers....Unique
    Semis........Bullseye.

I've always stuck to this for some
    unknown reason.I'm prolly missing out
    on some great powders for handguns.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    7.4 (min)-8.3 (max) Bullseye, CCI550 primer, 125JHP, tight crimp.
    You can lose the double-charging chance by using a powder that almost fills the case.
    19.6 (min)-21.6 (max) H110
    17.5-19.5 2400
    12.6-13.8 HS7
    16.0-17.8 H4227
    If you go for the MAX loads; drop the weight by at least 10%, and work up from there, watching for blown primers, stiff recoil, parts flying off the gun, and bleeding.
    Be sure the gun used for those loads is at least made after 1993, and preferably a Ruger.

I find that most of my guns prefer a load just above the start load for many powders; I seek accuracy, not punishment.
  • JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

+100, Alliant doesn't recommend Bullseye for 357 loads [xx(]

This! ^^^^^^

What I learned this summer is that if you're having trouble finding load data for a particular powder in a particular caliber, it's possible the powder was not meant for that caliber or bullet weight. Even though it will go bang.

I bought some Hornady Superperformance thinking I was going to use it for some different things. Couldn't find any data. I was on the verge of loading some up on the low end to see what they'd do. Then I called Hodgdon and talked to a guy about it. Asked why they didn't have data for it in the calibers I wanted to use it for. He said it wasn't made for them even though it's a rifle powder.

Said it would work sure enough, but the the burn rate for the caliber I wanted to use it in was inappropriate. Said pressures would be very high with low performance. No good reason for me to use it. Ended up trading the powder for something else.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite 357 load is 14 grains of Alliant 2400 with a 158 grain Speer jacketed soft point and CCI 550 magnum primer.

Shoots like a house afire in most of my guns and you can bump it to 14.5 grains if you want it even hotter.

Told one of my friends about this load and the next time I saw him he told me that he had used it to take a couple of deer with that load. He liked that load a lot as well.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GUNFUNCO
    My favorite 357 load is 14 grains of Alliant 2400 with a 158 grain Speer jacketed soft point and CCI 550 magnum primer.

Shoots like a house afire in most of my guns and you can bump it to 14.5 grains if you want it even hotter.

Told one of my friends about this load and the next time I saw him he told me that he had used it to take a couple of deer with that load. He liked that load a lot as well.

+1
    2400 gives a very nice visual effect.[:D]
    my 158g LSWC with 13.9g of 2400 = 1400fps
    it is especially colorful in a 44 mag with 20g, and its 1400fps also, but pushing a 240g LSWC.