In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading 410 gauge

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
anyone reload 410's and with what machines? Thanks

Comments

• 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mec 600 jr Mk5. I can load about 100 rounds in an hour. Look for used by running a free ad in local papers or post at local skeet club. Used can be 1/2 of the list price. But the new (MK5) will have a "shell holder" type clip that helps when loading new once fired cases. It will also have this part to help with 296/fine powders. th_100304W.jpg Both can be ordered from Mec, if you buy an old press.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • 336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the years I've used all the different MEC machines from the jr to the 9000. I use the progressive machines for target loads and the single stage machines for putting together field loads where/were I might want to try different components(wads or powder)for hunting. The larger shot used in the field loads has a tendency to bridge in the drop tube and requires patience. Earlier there/their was a problem(and still is to some degree) with the auto progressive in the 410 & 28 where the shells rocked violently and wanted to throw shot out of the top of the shell between the "shot drop" station and the "crimp start" and "crimp" stations.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    new one from Bass pro shops about $208 with free shipping, not too bad when shells for the 410 are $15. I already have a Mec Jr. set up for 20's. Though I might get a new one already set up for the 410's mine for the 20's is real old any way
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will just continue to use my Pacific DL-155 on both 2 1/2 and 3" 410 ga shotshells. MEC is still backwards to me going from right to left instead of left to right as Pacific reloaders do. With one easily made piece, i can reload either shell. No reloader that i have tried yet gets super volume on 410 reloads. Plus i personally don't like all the plastic in the new MEC's.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for the DL 155 I have 3 of the them. Way better than a MEC.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are die sets in 410 to put on your 20 ga Mec. But it is a pain to switch back and forth. I would load a case of 28 gr, then put the 410 dies on and load a case of them.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 MEC 600's. one for 2 1/2" & one for 3" although a simple install adapter plate will make one work either way. I also have a MEC Grabber for 410 that I love. I will load 410 hulls till they fall apart. Like said earlier the bigger field load shot size will cake up in the drop tube so patients is needed there. Also have one for 28 ga. Same rules apply there also. A friend f mine has a Pacific set up for 28 & has had alot of trouble with it.