In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's your fave powder for 410 skeet loads?

Wingman54Wingman54 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Looking to start back into reloading 410's again after 10 years and was curious what powder y'all are using nowadays for 2-1/2" skeet loads.
I used to use 2400, but as I remember, it was very dirty.
Looking for something different.
Thx.

Comments

• 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still usin my old favorite Win 296. Changed to i when it came out and haven't found a good reason to change. If i had to change it would probably be to Hodgdon H110. I use 296 in all my 2 1/2 and 3" 410 shells and am very satisfied with the results. Some of the new powders out use a lesser grain count but seem to build pressures too fast to suit my tastes.
  • 336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hogdon "Lil-Gun" has developed a big following with the skeet shooters. It is a denser powder requiring less volume which makes it possible to get a full 1/2oz of shot into the "AA" hull and the newer once fired hulls that haven't yet eroded inside. I have 296 also that I use with the larger volume Federal hulls. Both seem to burn rather well with not much residue. The tornado takes care of that at the cleaning sessions. "Lil-Gun" seems to be phasing out 296.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the guys that I talk with say 296. I've been wanting to try lil gun though.