In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Single stage press

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
After 40+ years with my RCBS Jr. I am thinking about upgrading to an RCBS supreme Rock Chucker, Lyman Crusher, or Redding Big Boss. I intend to do some small swaging of lead pistol bullets as well as more large caliber (bigger then 30-06) ammo. Appears to me that the largest ram and most power is with the RCBS.

Any technical input would be appreciated. I know everyone's "happy" with what they use, but would like a little deeper analysis if you have one. I have only tested the RCBS at this point in time.

Thanks

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS is the king. I have 2, one to my left for sizing, and one to my right for seating. I don't like having to switch out dies[:D]
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three RCBS Rock Chucker II's. RCBS is a company that caters to the novice and pro competitor alike. You can't go wrong being green.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like window size on my Lyman Orange Crusher. The only thing I don't like is the ram will go back down a little at the full stroke of the handle.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Rock Chucker has about 40 years on it and is till going strong! I would say that is all the recommendation I need to make.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use one of the old cast iron Rockchuckers. Aren't the II's and/or the supremes aluminum?
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't no aluminum on my RCII's and I highly doubt any on the supreme.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Ambrose: I have tested the Supreme and did not note any aluminum parts. I have several single presses,Lyman turrets, dillon progressives, and Mec's. But I am trying to find the most heavy duty single stage because I want to swage and reload large cal. Yes I could buy a swage press and use it for reloading, but I would rather just buy a heavy duty reloading press because of the limited use for swaging. As you can see from my 40+ years of using the RCBS jr., no one needs to talk me into RCBS. However, no companies seem to list specifications any more so I can't tell if there's a newer, better press I should at least look at. The only other one's I see listed are the Lyman Crusher and the Redding Big Boss.

I am a "specifications" guy and don't like buyer remorse due to limited knowledge.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that partner press on the left was replaced with another rockchucker
    101_1215.jpg