In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6mm PPC FACTORY brass?

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see Norma is making it now and it's being sold at Midway. From what I'm hearing, a couple guys have been trying it but so far NOBODY is using it in competition...

Anyone here tried it?

Comments

• bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lapua is the go to brass of the br shooters and 6mmppc brass is now available from Lapua.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where can I get some of that lapua 6PPC brass?

ray
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    Where can I get some of that lapua 6PPC brass?

ray

yeah! Last i heard, lapua still wasn't making any and you still had to make your own from 220 Russian...
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norma makes top end, great quality brass. [^]

Purchase or build what ever you want, but nothing is wrong with their brass. [;)]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    midnightrunpaintballer,

quote:...but so far NOBODY is using it in competition...

Nobody? Are you absolutely sure of this? Out of the probably 2 million point blank benchrest shooters in the world and not one of them has tried or is using this brass? Or is it that maybe they don't want to suffer the slings and arrows from their fellow shooters by admitting to giving into something a little less tedious for the shooter?

The probable answer is that there are so many customized 6PPC chambers in the world that the majority of the shooters won't benefit from this product. Realize that most of the bench folks are superstitious to a fault when it comes to brass prep and loading. Some I know are using the same 50 pieces of brass they started with several years ago![;)] (slight exaggeration)

But my point is the same, they buy a few pieces then spend their time customizing it to their chamber while developing that match winning load. They will have to fireform anyway so what's the difference?

Personally, if I wanted to use this factory brass, I'd get some, seat a few bullets and send those off to Dave Kiff for a reamer to cut the chamber. Then I would spend my time learning to shoot small groups, reading the wind and interpreting mirage.

I refuse to shoot a 6PPC simply because every benchrest shooter in the world uses this cartridge. I do have a 22PPC which is my dedicated short range varmint rifle. I have a supply of both the Norma and Sako PPC brass just for this rifle..

Best.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6 BR is more readily available.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    6 BR is more readily available.

dont have a 6br. have a 6ppc
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sako imported a lot of 6mm PPC rifles and marketed their own line of ammo and brass. The brass was made by Norma so that may be an option.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SAKO 6PPC USA brass was the first made specifically in that caliber. It was first seen in the early days of the cartridge as it was beginning to gain popularity. Serious Benchrest shooters had access to it but preferred to use the Lapua 220 Russian brass. There was a good reason why they did that. Guess what it was.

Ray
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    The SAKO 6PPC USA brass was the first made specifically in that caliber. It was first seen in the early days of the cartridge as it was beginning to gain popularity. Serious Benchrest shooters had access to it but preferred to use the Lapua 220 Russian brass. There was a good reason why they did that. Guess what it was.

Ray

I'm guessing because the Sako brass sucked? I've heard that Lapua is making 6ppc brass now too. Haven't seen any anywhere though...
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with Norma brass in general is not to load it to a max load first time out. The case heads are a little on the soft side. Other than that it is outstanding brass! And, after a few loads it will take max loadings. Keep annealing it and you have cases last a long time.