In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shot shells & trail boss

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
any body have any info on this?, nothing on the IMR web site

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    According to Hodgdon, they "don't recommend" it for shotshells. A friend had some that I tried for reduced loads in centerfire rifle cartridges, but I saw no improvement over the loads I use with SR4759, either in ease of loading or performance so saw no reason to change.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I've used this for both rifle and pistol loads for years and it works well. but now I'm loading 14 ga brass shot shells and could use a 'bulky' powder (you will note that 14 ga componets are not readily avialable).
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlike rifle or pistol loadings, shotshells don't necessarily
    give any of the usual indications of impending danger. (flat primers, bulged or sticky cases, etc) Without some comparative burn curves and pressure date, I'd say you could be tempting fate. Got any "bulk shotgun powder" ?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, I have run into the same problem recently. Do to the ongoing, Obama generated ammo and components panic. My local stores have nada, in the way of fast burning handgun powder.

The only stuff I could get my hands on, was some Winchester AA Super Handicap shotgun powder. Since I couldn't find any reloading data on it. I started at my old minimum 45 ACP Bullseye load. It worked fine, with no physical evidence of over pressure loads.

I would start loading the Trail Boss using the minimum Red Dot loads that are given for 16 Gauge shotshells. Since 14 Gauge is slightly larger then 16. You will have a built in fudge factor.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "I would start loading the Trail Boss using the minimum Red Dot loads that are given for 16 Gauge shotshells. Since 14 Gauge is slightly larger then 16. You will have a built in fudge factor."........
    thanks, I'll try that on the next 'go-round'. I 'split the difference' between 12 & 16 ga. loads for 1 1/4 oz. using unique (20 gns, 2 over powder wads, 2 filler wads and a top card sealed with high temp bullet lube.
    14ga_zpsfc9b7ab2.jpg