In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Powder ?

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
How many 9mm cartridges with 115gr bullet could you make with 1lb of powder ?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    at an average charge weight of 6.0 gnc.......1166.67
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pound has 7000 grains. Simple division.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks - just wondering if it is better to buy 1 lb or 8 lbs
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When buying powder bulk purchases assure it is of the same lot. For the 9MM Tite-group offers clean burning and low charge weights. It comes in a four pound jug too.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501
    The question is, how much handgun ammo do you shoot?

For instance, I shoot mainly rifle and only go through about 500 handgun rounds per year. I use Alliant bullseye as it is useable across the board, ideal in many cartridges, worthless in none. As it is the fastest easily obtained powder out there, charges are small- starting at 1.5 gr for my .32 ACP through 4 gr for my 9mm to 5 for my .45. Let's say 2.5 gr average. That's 2800 rounds. At 500 per year, 1 pound of bullseye is going to last me over 5 years, so buying 1 pound at a time is ideal for ME.

If you shoot enough to go through more than 1 pound per year, I would get the 8 lb jug.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you used some of the powder you are interested in and know it is good for the job?
    If so, buy 8 lbs.
    If you are not familiar with it, buy one lb so you have less of something you don't like on the shelf.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well when 9mm wasn't available i did load this stuff. However when you figure the cost of the primers and bullets and powder it doesn't pay to load 9mm. Unless you are going for something special. Myself I reload everything. 9mm buy bulk ammo at around 17cents a round or reload for about 12 to 14 cents. Isn't worth the time for this type of round.
  • Autogun NYAutogun NY Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WC-820, does anyone have any info on this powder. As I recall I picked up a couple lbs. at a good price, and was told to use it as '2400'. I reload about 25 different rifle & pistol cals. Is there anything that I shouldn't use it for, and is there anything that it is especially good for???
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44shotdoctor
    Well when 9mm wasn't available i did load this stuff. However when you figure the cost of the primers and bullets and powder it doesn't pay to load 9mm. Unless you are going for something special. Myself I reload everything. 9mm buy bulk ammo at around 17cents a round or reload for about 12 to 14 cents. Isn't worth the time for this type of round.

Where are finding bulk 9mm for 17 cents/rd? Around here, Winchester, UMC, etc is all about $250/1000 rds. I wanna shop wherever you are shopping!!!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Autogun NY
    WC-820, does anyone have any info on this powder. As I recall I picked up a couple lbs. at a good price, and was told to use it as '2400'. I reload about 25 different rifle & pistol cals. Is there anything that I shouldn't use it for, and is there anything that it is especially good for???
    It's a bit slower than 2400. Compare to AA9.

Good for magnum handguns and fast rifle rounds. Original application was M-1 Carbine ammo, 13.5 gr with a 110 gr bullet.

I find it works just dandy for the m1 carbine, also good for the 7.62X39 with mid power loads, and reduced loads with rifles.

It would shine in the .44 mag, .357 with heavier bullets, etc.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason I recommend against using surplus powders is because there IS no standardization. One lot of XYZ-666 may be quite different from another lot. You are forced to be a full-blown ballistics lab to work with a surplus powder, and if you aren't set up to measure pressure, you are a blind man running around in cliff country.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Autogun NYAutogun NY Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info...I will take it all into consideration...
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501

go ahead and get the 8# keg, you have the same Haz mat charge but 8x the powder, plus powder don't go bad, as long as you don't keep it next to the furnace or underwater, plus with the 8# you are assured that you get the same lot for a little edge on accuracy.
    If you get HP38 or Win231 you can use a charge aroung 5.0 gr to give you 1400rds per pound or 11200 for the 8# keg