In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NoNonsense...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I just read your remarks regarding the Vortex Scopes. I have never seen one of these scopes. How would you rate their products (something like the Viper PST) next to a Leupold VX-III...or even a Mark 4???

If you were buying a scope, would you take the Vortex over a Vari-X III??? Inquiring minds want to know... [:)][8D]

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You got me curious about this powder. Have you experimented with it in the .338 RUM??? Thanks!

quote:IdahoRedneck,

I left this alone since you asked for JustC's information but the bump reminded me that I still have some data sitting around from my testing a while back.

In general, US869 is an extremely slow powder, making it suitable for some applications with large capacity cases or large cases necked down for smaller calibers.

I didn't find a suitable load node for this powder in the .300 RUM even when I was using the longer 210 VLD bullets. It was running about 100 FPS slower than my loads with Retumbo and Re-25. It's also a bit less efficient.

But I did get better results when I used the US869 in the 7mm RUM with the 180 gr. VLD bullets. Good velocity and better efficiency. Similar results occurred when I was testing the .338 Extreme cartridge.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Is it possible to rework a Remington 700 trigger? I have a Sendero in 25-06 and the trigger pull is over 10.5 lbs. I'd love to drop a Jewel in it, but I was wondering if a competent gunsmith could reduce the trigger pull to down around <1 lb...preferably about 8 oz.?.?

I had a Weatherby SVM trigger reworked once and it was just as nice as my Jewel trigger. Is it possible to do this with a 700 trigger?

I'm also curious to know whether it's worth it to swap out the J Lock bolt shroud on this rifle? Thanks! [8D]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC,

"Is it possible to rework a Remington 700 trigger?"

Absolutely! It's done all day, every day. It takes some skill and knowledge to get it to be repeatable and consistent but it's certainly doable.

"...but I was wondering if a competent gunsmith could reduce the trigger pull to down around <1 lb...preferably about 8 oz.?.?"

NO. No. No.

The M700 trigger is good down to about 2 lbs. consistently. 1-1/2 lbs can be achieved with some additional work but it's not always recommended. If you want or need a target weight trigger, buy one made for this. The newer 3 and 4 lever triggers are really nice but frightfully expensive.

"I'm also curious to know whether it's worth it to swap out the J Lock bolt shroud on this rifle?"

Yes, if only for the peace of mind that it doesn't get locked by accident. There is also some minor drag that occurs and the alignment of the shroud can be questionable sometimes. It's a simple task to replace it and there are some used firing pin assemblies floating around for reasonable prices.

Best.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    ECC,

"Is it possible to rework a Remington 700 trigger?"

Absolutely! It's done all day, every day. It takes some skill and knowledge to get it to be repeatable and consistent but it's certainly doable.

"...but I was wondering if a competent gunsmith could reduce the trigger pull to down around <1 lb...preferably about 8 oz.?.?"

NO. No. No.

The M700 trigger is good down to about 2 lbs. consistently. 1-1/2 lbs can be achieved with some additional work but it's not always recommended. If you want or need a target weight trigger, buy one made for this. The newer 3 and 4 lever triggers are really nice but frightfully expensive.

"I'm also curious to know whether it's worth it to swap out the J Lock bolt shroud on this rifle?"

Yes, if only for the peace of mind that it doesn't get locked by accident. There is also some minor drag that occurs and the alignment of the shroud can be questionable sometimes. It's a simple task to replace it and there are some used firing pin assemblies floating around for reasonable prices.

Best.

Thank you! [8D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, nononsense nails it again. My ONLY stock trigger is right at 2lbs and breaks like a custom trigger. After that, they get unsafe. If you want a lesser weight pull, buy an aftermarket and be miles ahead