In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm going to make me a wet tumbler

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I have an ultrasonic cleaner that cleans brass really well, but it doesn't leave a good shine.

After looking at some YouTube videos, I think the dryer motor or the HVAC motor I have would be a good candidate for a wet tumbler. The HVAC motor is 1625 RPM 1/4HP 230 volt. That should run it at a real low amperage.

Most designs I have saw use pillow blocks & a couple TGP rods. I think I'll use a 5 gallon bucket or a really large diameter piece of PVC. Either way I'm going to put a few small "paddles" inside to stir up the media & brass so them tumble inside as they spin.

Anyone else have ideas on making one or have already done so?

Comments

• Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regular old vibrating tumbler with corn cob always shined em up enough for me. Just how shiny do you need them?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The odd job concrete mixer is 7 gal, liquid tight, and has built in mixing paddles. Use a wood frame and 4 inch plastic pipe for the rollers. Try for 33 rpm of the drum.

http://www.amazon.com/Scepter-04239-7-Gallon-Odjob-Mixer/dp/B000BPK766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371962402&sr=8-1&keywords=odd+job+concrete+mixer
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    There cheap enough- also look for rock tumblers.
    http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html

Parts and supply's-
    http://rocktumbler.com/tumbler-parts.shtml

Thanks, I can use some of these parts.[:D] It will cut down on my amount of fab & on parts that move.

We had some low RPM motors on machines at work & I need one of those "round" belts. Pretty good prices on the site.[^]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could see making one so large that the weight of the cases/water/whatever tumbling about against paddles cause handgun cases to bash about and maybe ding the case mouths a bit.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a dry tumbler last year using an old treadmill that uses a 5 gal bucket. should work wet too. If you're careful you can plug it into a 115V socket. If not don't worry. They have a 12V dc motor you can hook up to a auto battery charger.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just found 2 more Dayton motors in my electric supplies cabinet in my shop. One is 10,000RPM & other is 5,000RPM (twin shaft).

Think I could spin the rims off the cases with that 10K RPM motor?[:D]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    I just found 2 more Dayton motors in my electric supplies cabinet in my shop. One is 10,000RPM & other is 5,000RPM (twin shaft).

Think I could spin the rims off the cases with that 10K RPM motor?[:D]

IIRC most Dayton motors will accept a variable speed controller- The catch, the ones I used to work with had a built in Voltage/load cut off sensor to the motor.

In other words, your speed reduction can be achieved Via a secondary drive reduction so the motor does not see the a heavy load it's turning.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you'll keep an eye on E-bay you can run across a Thumler's Tumbler that's a wet tumbler used for polishing rocks for a lot less than they're sold for new and you won't have to mess with making a homemade one. I found my Thumler Tumbler for $35 bucks on E-bay quite a few years ago and those things will run for ever since they're made for tumbling rocks 24 hours a day for a week or two at a time. Of course these days with all the new people getting into reloading they've probably driven the prices up on these too like they have powder and bullets and everything else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    If you'll keep an eye on E-bay you can run across a Thumler's Tumbler that's a wet tumbler used for polishing rocks for a lot less than they're sold for new and you won't have to mess with making a homemade one. I found my Thumler Tumbler for $35 bucks on E-bay quite a few years ago and those things will run for ever since they're made for tumbling rocks 24 hours a day for a week or two at a time. Of course these days with all the new people getting into reloading they've probably driven the prices up on these too like they have powder and bullets and everything else.

Thanks.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best thing I've ever used for cleaning brass was a Harbor Freight air paint shaker, put a hundred or so shells in with media, adjusted to a slow to medium shake speed, clean as a whistle in about an hour!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    The best thing I've ever used for cleaning brass was a Harbor Freight air paint shaker, put a hundred or so shells in with media, adjusted to a slow to medium shake speed, clean as a whistle in about an hour!

Did you put them in a gallon paint can?
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango

Did you put them in a gallon paint can?

YES I did, it works awesome and way faster than a tumbler!