In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7mm Rem BR

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
Anyone know what the parent case(s) used for forming is? The instruction sheet simply states "Remington Basic Case".

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington Basic Case is the old Remington URBR. It was a 308W case with special anneal and case wall thickness meant to be used to form any wildcat based on the 308W case head. It has not been made in years and is pretty much obsolete now. Factory brass exists for both the 6mm BR and the 7mm Br, the two cases that were supposed to be the target of the URBR. A bad idea by Remington that they still regret because Lapua and Norma both snuck in while they weren't looking and offered factory fresh brass in both calibers.

Bottom box in the photo.
    66xatk.jpg
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Cheechako.

What would the negatives be if a regular 308W was used?. I realize that the brass may be thicker and possibly require reaming the neck.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard 308 brass will have large primer pocket while the 308 BR is made with a small primer pocket, supposed to offer advantages in benchrest shooting.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Thanks Cheechako.

What would the negatives be if a regular 308W was used?. I realize that the brass may be thicker and possibly require reaming the neck.

Nothing will be lost by using 308W cases to start, except a lot of time and effort. Yes, you may (or may not) have to turn or ream the necks. Thicker case walls can be an advantage if you are looking for hot loads. The LP vs. SP primer is not a big issue.

Some very high quality brass exists from Lapua for the 6mm BR. They could be easily converted to 7mm BR. And, there is factory 7mm BR brass out there. You may have to search to find some but it's available.

308W brass is the most readily available but you don't have to limit yourself to it. Any case with the 308 base and rim can be used. 300 Savage, 22-250 are just 2 that come to mind.

Ray
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Cheechako in that starting with .308W brass is going to be a lot of work. One thing I will mention here is if you do start with .308W brass, get a forming die or die set. Crushing down a half inch of brass doesn't always come out well. A forming die takes a long angle to take it down. A set steps it down in increments. Each eliminates potentially ruining the cases.

And, FWIW, I don't think Remington gives a damn whether or not they screwed up. They haven't given us a ton of things other manufacturers have. And, when they do come up with something new, it's not a great idea. Lapua and Norma didn't sneek in, they came along twenty years after the fact and made it right. Something Remington can never do.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not use fresh Lapua 6BR brass and neck it up to 7MM?