In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Two loads

woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
Two loads in the same pistol. Walther WW2 P-38. Both shot the black out one using Winchester 115 grain silver tip 9 mm ammo commercial the other a hand load of 5.1 Blue dot using 147 grain Hornady xtp . Question is if anyone knows what powder Winchester uses. I'd like to duplicate the loads.

John

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most factory loads use powders that we can't buy.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    This ^^^^^^^^^^
  • woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know very well what I am doing for your information. For you to make a statement like that from what I told you shows your ignorance.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodchuckjohn
    I know very well what I am doing for your information. For you to make a statement like that from what I told you shows your ignorance.

That line was not directed to YOU.
    It is on ALL of his posts.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Canister powder the stuff we can normally buy is blended to be more uniform and cost more. Factory ammunition is loaded by lot which varies and the load is adjusted for that lot of powder.

In nearly 50 years of loading I had one rifle that shot factory ammo better than mine. I tried like 15 powders, every primer and 20 different bullets in 3 different die sets on 5 presses. I gave that rifle to a buddy that didn't mind buying factory ammo.

I don't load 9mm but I like your pistol. I'd be looking at fast powders like Bullseye W231. I like BlueDot in my 44 mags. As a side note I had to reduce my load when they changed from Hercules to Alliant. It was a full grain+ reduction.

Got a friend with a chronograph?
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, while you'll never duplicate Winchester's load exactly, if you pull down a cartridge and weigh the powder charge, then compare to load data to find what powder has an identical charge weight, you'll be really close.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I don't have a clue as to what Winchester uses for powder in their factory 9mm ammunition. But in using all-Winchester components in putting together some ball rounds, I found that 4.4 grains of 231 with a 115-gr FMJ would seriously outshoot every other combination of components that I ever tried, and that was a lot. The load is also consistently accurate across a number of guns, including 9mm 1911's, CZ 75, P1's and a P38, and even a commercial Yugo Tokarev. While this is certainly not the hottest 9mm load around, the accuracy that I get is a jaw-dropper (for me), and I would rather have the confidence of shot placement, than extra power.