In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handloads for 30-06 semi-autos?

redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
I have a Remington 742 and a Browning BAR that I use for deer hunting. Both are .30-06

What are some good loads for these rifles using 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips?

I have a progressive reloader, so I would like a power that meters well...

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As with all gas-operated rifles, pick a powder that's slightly fast for the cartridge so that the residual pressure at the gas port is both as low and as repeatable as possible. The reliability and life of the rifle will benefit greatly.

IMR 4895 was created for the .30-06 in the Garand, for just that reason. It's a very good choice, still. If you insist on a spherical powder, I think Ramshot TAC would fill the bill very nicely.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If IMR 4895 is a good choice, would H4895 also be a good choice?

Any thoughts on IMR 4350, H4350, IMR 4064 or BLC-2?
    edited November -1
    Yes, either of the two 4895s will be great. Use data for the exact one you choose, as they vary a little. Of the others you mention, 4064 would be fine, as would Varget, which is almost the same burn rate as 4064. BLC-2 is also okay. The 4350s are fabulous in bolt guns, but too slow for a gas action.
    edited November -1
    Will starting loads have enough umph to work the action of a semi-auto?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked 48 grains of IMR 4895 in my 30-06 loads with 150 grain bullets.
    edited November -1
    Will starting loads have enough umph to work the action of a semi-auto?
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just recently purchased a Browning bar, and was thinking about reloading for it also. Im wanting to use a 165 grain sp, the IMR4895 powder is their load data for that grain of bullet? I also have on hand Varget and IMR 4320.
    edited November -1
    Starting loads ought to work the action fine, but the condition of the rifle might affect that a bit. You'll have to try them and work up if necessary.

Redhead, there is plenty of data for IMR4895 and 165-gr bullets. Do check with the bullet maker for your exact bullet, but charge weights generally run from about 48 to about 52 grains. Some bullet styles will be a bit different, however.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may have overlooked someone mentioning this or you may already know!

Suggest that you use the small base sizing dies for your model of guns![B)][;)]
    edited November -1
    Allow me to qualify what Okie said. IF you are FL sizing and still have difficulty getting rounds to chamber, then the recourse is to get small base sizing dies. But if they are chambering fine, that's unnecessary and possibly detrimental.

Just because you are loading for a semi-automatic does not mean you should (ahem) semi-automatically buy small base dies.
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the information!!
  • je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 7400's I have seen all need very soft primers, Federal, Remington, or Winchester are good, 742 probably has the same limitation. I replaced my hammer spring and it didn't make any difference. My 7400 is the most unreliable semi auto I own, Browning BAR is best of non-assault rifles in reliability