In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

357 for Deer- Hard Cast or Jacketed?

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
First time I'm gonna try using my 6" 357 w/red dot sight for deer hunting next Fall. I feel pretty confident up to 50 yds. with the target handloads I've already made and tested. Want to come up with a good load to practice with for deer. Read many posts about lead vs. jacketed, result?...I'm more confused than ever!

Seems like a wide meplat lead is good but what weight? Some also seem to use the 180 gr. Hornady XTP. Would like to hear from people that actually hunt deer with the 357 and see what they think
Any and all advice is always appreciated
happy memorial Day,
Jon

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have killed exactly one deer with that bore size - and that was a .38 Special! I used a cast 158 SWC. Range: about five feet, straight down.

(A little spike buck stopped directly under my tree stand. I literally had to spread my feet to keep from hitting my toes when I shot. I hit him between the shoulder blades, broke the spine and the bullet passed through into the ground. Dead before he hit his hooves.)

I load cast bullets exclusively in the .38, and a mix of cast and jacketed in the 357. If I elected to whack a deer with a 357, I'd carry either a 158 cast SWC with gas check or a 158 JHP. I like the Remington "RoseBud" JHP for its deeply scalloped lead nose, or the XTP. I load both to about 1,200 fps from a 4 5/8" barrel.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Sierra 158 JSP with 12.5 grains of Blue Dot, ONCE. About a 30-35 yard shot. Hit right behind the right shoulder and exit thru the last rib on the other side. Little three X three, he went about 200 yards and folded up. Pistol was a S&W 6" M-66. I have thought the 180 grain full profile might be a good bullet for penetration, but the 158 did the job just fine.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Hornady 158 XTP on 5 or 6 deer, they work great just try to aim back so you dont have to bust shoulder blades. All of mine have been pass throughs with a huge exit.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Ruger Gp-100 in my belt as backup for my .50 Hawkin. I shot a doe last year out of a climber at about 80yrds w/ Remington factory 158 JHP. Didn't put her down right away. I followed her trail and finished her with one to the left eye at about 30yrds.

I don't like using the Super Redhawk .44mag because it needs wheels, but it will do the job.

This coming year I'm going to try my ammo(16.7gr Win 296 w/158gr JHP@ 1600fps)

Good luck[:)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've used 158 JHP for deer. Never had one run over about 25yds.
    180 XTP,S should work good. Using a 180 44 mag. drops deer quick.
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two so far. 6" 686 158g cast. One at 7 yards and one at 30 yards. Both DRT (Dead Right There) Starting out I'd keep shots down to close bow range. I think cast is very underrated. If you do your job they work great.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What speed did you load them? HP or Flat nose?

quote:Originally posted by Justjump
    Two so far. 6" 686 158g cast. One at 7 yards and one at 30 yards. Both DRT (Dead Right There) Starting out I'd keep shots down to close bow range. I think cast is very underrated. If you do your job they work great.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My 158JHP,S ran about 1550FPS.
    158LSWC ran about 1100FPS for practice.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you settle on a JHP bullet, be sure to check the manufacturer's website to find the design velocity envelope for that bullet. Some are designed for 38 Special and some for 357 Magnum speeds, and using them in the wrong cartridge can present problems. Over-expansion and under-penetration is probably worse than the reverse.

You do not need warp speeds at the ranges we are discussing.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEI Keith-type SWC with lube & gas check weighed 164 gr. when finished, 1076 fps. in a 6" S&W 586. 2 deer, one a very good sized (375 lb. dressed) buck. One shot on the smaller, double-tap on the large (OK, the 2nd tap was as he was down, but not dead).
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either works fine.

CP
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    What speed did you load them? HP or Flat nose?

quote:Originally posted by Justjump

Sorry so long to reply arrrghhhhh
    Anyway flat point gas check. My notes say 1350 avg.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I use a 41 but every deer I shot with an XTP dropped within 20 yards and the bullet was under the hide of the opposite shoulder. Every deer shot with a cast bullet dropped within 20 yards with a complete passthrough. Physical damage was always ver comperable.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambambam,
    I'm using Speer 158 JHP, CCI sp mag primers, and 16.5 of H110. This is a heavy load but cases extract easily from my guns.
    My 6.5" Blackhawk gives 1650 fps @ 10' and shoots as accurately as I can hold with an Aimpoint.
    This bullet seems to expand well w/o going to pieces out to 100 yards which is as far as I've tested it.
    The 180's I've seen used didn't give much expansion-more like riveted the nose a little and maybe tumbled.