In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about gas checks

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
Bought some aluminum, .008 thick gas checks months ago to put on some 113 gr 30 cal bullets cast in a Lee mould last summer. Using a Lee sizer. After the sizing process, the gas checks are loose enough to be easily flicked off with a fingernail. I tried to size them again nose up and base up without any luck. I can only think of 3 possibilities of what's wrong:

1. The gas checks are oversize (I'll compare one to a brass check that doesn't have the problem on the same bullet and a 150gr bullet).

2. Tbe gas checks are too thin. I'll measure the thickness of the aluminum and brass gas checks. Don't know if my caliper is good enough to determine a small difference.

3. the bullet shank is a bit undersized (Tomorrow, I'll measure the shanks of two 30 cal bullets cast from different Lee molds (the other bullets received the brass checks just fine).

4. The alloy mix is different enough to cast smaller shank bullets.

Anything else I can check?

Jim

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have covered the possibilities. Lee molds are not high on my list.

What kind of alloy are you running. Pure lead casts small, ones with antimony cast larger.

I have looked at those gas check makers. I have a hard time with the concept of spitting aluminum oxide (ones made from beer cans) down a bore. An old beater gun maybe,

cut and pasted

Product Details
    Aluminum oxide is an angular, durable blasting abrasive that can be recycled many times. It is the most widely used abrasive grain in blast finishing and surface preparation because of its cost, longevity and hardness all while creating very little dust. Harder than other commonly used blasting media, aluminum oxide penetrates and cuts even the hardest metals and sintered metals. Aluminum oxide ranges from a powder-like fine abrasive to a coarse abrasive. Aluminum oxide can be re-used several times and is typically the best choice of abrasive for a cabinet blaster. Best uses: cleaning cast iron, steel, stainless steel, removing chrome, powder coating, surface preparation, rust removal and glass etching. 80-grit abrasive for fast, hard cutting. U.S.A.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of alum. gas checks. Hornady's are the best, I've had Lyman's come off after being shot.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would never use ALUMINUM gas checks
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:(] Anyone like about 1,000 .008 aluminum gas checks?