In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308 Military Duplication Load

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have a load listed to duplicate the military loading for 147-150 grain FMJ. I know that they were listed in the Cartridges of the World book. Mine is buried some where right now and can't get at it. I know that the actual loads used a powder that was not immediately available to reloaders but I know that there were loads listed that approximated the actual load. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My COTW 11th ed. is not too far away and it does not list a mil. dup. load for the 7.62x51 in the mil. cartridge section. It does indicate that the 150 gr load has a velocity of 2750 fps.

In the commercial cartridge section it lists a .308 Win. with 150 gr. SP with 44 gr IMR4895 @ 2700 fps or 46 gr IMR4064 @ 2800 fps.

FWIW: About 20 yrs. ago a young relative, who was an armorer for a reserve military outfit, brought out 5 or 6 M14's to my range along with ammo. We spent a lot of time running the Oehler 35P and that stuff was hot out of those rifles! It was mostly 147 LC89 but there was some WRA67 and some IVI69. It ran in the mid 2800's. I had some berdan primed FNM 82-42 NATO marked stuff that I ran through my no1MKIII Enfield and that averaged 2831 fps.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BLC2 is supposedly close to a military equivalent. I use it in my 223 and 308 rifles with great results. I love the way it flows through the powder measure.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you really want to duplicate it, look at one of the surplus powder guys and order some WC 846. One of the few surplus powders still in stock, last I checked. It's pulldown 308 powder.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran lots of BLC lot #2, yes it meters well.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    If you really want to duplicate it, look at one of the surplus powder guys and order some WC 846. One of the few surplus powders still in stock, last I checked. It's pulldown 308 powder.

I can never find any. Do you have a web source?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    You might try these guys. 8# of 846 for $167 https://www.americanreloading.com/en/51-smokeless-rifle-powder

Thanks
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got plenty of BLC 2. I'd like to try the WC846 but I don't need 8 lbs of it, 4 would be plenty.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I've got plenty of BLC 2. I'd like to try the WC846 but I don't need 8 lbs of it, 4 would be plenty.

This is what Hodgdon says about BLC2. It is probably the same powder, just without the flash suppressant. I love BLC2.

"A spherical powder that began as a military powder used in the 7.62 NATO, commonly known as the 308 Winchester. When it was first introduced to the handloader, benchrest shooters and other target shooters made it an instant success. BL-C(2) works extremely well in the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 17 Remington, 22 PPC and of course, the 308 Winchester, plus many more. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers"
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

This is what Hodgdon says about BLC2. It is probably the same powder, just without the flash suppressant. I love BLC2.

"A spherical powder that began as a military powder used in the 7.62 NATO, commonly known as the 308 Winchester. When it was first introduced to the handloader, benchrest shooters and other target shooters made it an instant success. BL-C(2) works extremely well in the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 17 Remington, 22 PPC and of course, the 308 Winchester, plus many more. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers"

Yes that and H335 work great but the 335 has more flash.
    edited November -1
    Got an email today from Weidners WC846 for like $94 an 8lb keg but they are out of it.
  • DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DresserDan
    Is this hat you are looking for?
    http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellq.htm#duplicate

I have a load from Cartridges of the World 14th. edition that list 46 grains of WC846 to duplicate the 147 gr. M80 load.