In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading yes or no?

I am thinking about getting into reloading, not sure if I should or not?
I would be reloading: .380, 9mm, 38spc, 45acp, .223, .270, .308, .338 lapua, maybe 7.62 x 39 if possible.
Budget is about $1000.00 to start with,I know it will take more if i get a high end system and all dies needed.
What brand, single stage or turret, regular scale or digital...

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, absolutely worth it.

Get a single stage press to start- either an RCBS Rockchucker or a Lee classic cast.

I like Lee dies- great value, do the job the others do, far cheaper.

Get a good digital scale. I like the PACT unit- they make RCBS's scales but it's cheaper getting it direct from them.

I think that for those calibers, you could get the press, scale, and dies for about $500. Then there are trimmers, powder dispensers, chamfer tools, etc. etc. Still, easily doable for under a grand.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you shoot a lot of 380, 38, and 45, .270, .308, and .338, it will not take long to make that $1000 worth it. On the 3 pistol cartridges, you will save at minimum half the cost of buying loaded ammunition.

A good single stage would be a nice start. Lee Dies are ok, Carbide for the pistols. It is hard to beat their pistol dies for the price. I don't care for Lee seater dies for rifles, but I do have them and they get the job done. I also have Forester, RCBS seaters. You will need some way to trim the rifle brass.

My personal bench consist of a Bonanza (forester) press and a Lee press. Redding scale, couple different powder measures. I had trim everything, every trimming method except a Giraud are slow. I have varies dies from RCBS, LEE, Forester, ect.

I would recommend you start with the pistol brass. It is easier to load pistols, less steps. It will also allow you to get the hang of press. If you use the right powder, with 380 and 9mm it is hard to screw something up, aka double charge.
  • jdr308jdr308 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its for sure worth the investment. it is much cheaper to re-load.. Like the others said start out with a single stage press and then some day upgrade to a progressive if you feel the need to. You can get a rock chucker starter kit for a pretty good price. Check out the reloading auctions and you could probably find one. I started out with a cheap lee and used it for a few years, now Ive got a lee cast iron press, a rockchucker and a dillon 550b. I use all of them and am very happy with them. with your budget you can get a nice set up and start re-loading..
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the rounds you noted there is no way I would do anything but RELOAD! Almost a year went by here where you couldn't get .380 Auto, A good carry pistol size. 9 mil was hard to find and price went up, .38 SPC has always been as much a reload cartridge as ".off the shelf". .45 ACP was tough to get for a while, but not bullets. .223/5.56 went high but was somewhat available. The only one of the bunch that was always on the shelf was .270. But I, personally, still prefer my own loads to what I have to take off the shelf. .308 was UNAVAILABLE here for almost 2 years. ...because of demand. And lastly, .338 Lapua is only available on-line through specialty dealers. 7.62x39 is available widespread now but during training times over in the sandbox, there wasn't a round or case to be found for almost two years as well.

My advice is to go with a common round now that is NOT a military round, i.e. .243(s), .260(s), .257 Rbts(?), .25-06(s), .270 Win(s), 7mm-08(s) Rem, 7x57 Maus (s), .280 Rem(s), 30-06(s), 8x57mm Mauser, .338 Fed.

.264 Mag, 7mm Rem mag, and .300 Win Mag all have potential too. .300 is officially a military cartridge now though so good luck.
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 to all the above.
    And, best of all, it's fun and educational.
    Go for it.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many of your questions will be answered here: http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Reloading%20101.htm

If you can't read it, you are using Internet Exploder.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started reloading in the early 80's with my dad. I am no expert, but a few observations and opinions.

It is LESS expensive per round, BUT I find I shoot more. Also, I believe I keep more ammo on hand. I do all my pistol ammo in batches of 1000, have moved up my 223 as well. My 204 usually 200-400 at a time. The high volume stuff, it helps to buy bullets and primer ammo in bulk. 1k and 8lb kegs. My hunting rifles, 100 rounds can last a long time.

A good kit will get you started, but I think you know the story. That electric case trimmer would be nice, would like a tumbler, etc.

I have always used RCBS and Hornady products, a few Redding dies as well. I think the Hornady dies are the best deal going now for the price and free bullets.

Also, any good single stage kit would work great. The Horbady has quick change bushings, the RCBS doesn't. The Lyman press is great too.

I still get a high from getting a rifle sighted in with MY ammo and making a clean kill at range. For me that's 300-400 yards. Not a lot by some standards, but know your own limits.

Hope this helps, have fun. Follow manuals and ask any questions, I know I still do.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/10553
    Lyman T mag... great press. I had one but sold it (stupidly).

Another option- if you buy a Hornady press, you get free bullets... I THINK they are still offering this deal. Double check on their website.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're still looking for equipment check this auction out. I am not associated with the auction in any way.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197795203
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can reload for about 40% of retail cost. You have to keep in mind that brass is used many times before it is scrap. That is the large part of your savings.

and, as mentioned, it is fun and theraputic.
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load .380, .38, and .357 mag. I encourage everybody to reload as I find it to be a relaxing and rewarding hobby. Saving money is just icing on the cake.
    GH1[:)]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    If you're still looking for equipment check this auction out. I am not associated with the auction in any way.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197795203

THAT IS A GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!