In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lone wolf barrels and lead swc's

I purchased from Dillon a "Lone Wolf Disb" barrel for my Glock 22. It was a complete drop in as described. Went to the range to test fire with 175gr. lead SWC's (the reason I bought it was to shoot lead). It will not eat, at least not very well, the type of the swc's I have. Don't shoot round nose, so no info. there. Not pissed yet as I haven't talked to them yet (still early in eastern time zone) and there may be an easy fix. Just curious if any of you have had the problem and what you may have done to correct it. Saw nothing in Dillon's "Blue Press" or anything on their web site that indicates these barrels are sensitive to bullet shapes. Thanks

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Why won't it eat it? Feeding issues? Leading? Accuracy?
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    I had a lone Wolf on a 23.....And sometimes it had FTF.....just the price you have to pay to shoot lead. I put the Glock barrel back in when I used it for carry.
  • 1917watercooled1917watercooled Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the lack of information. With rounds in the mag, I release the slide with the slide release it will pick up the first round and get it half way into the chamber and stop. If I repeat the same process by pulling the slide back with my hand, to release the slide stop and slowly let the slide go foward it will chamber the first round. Subsequent rounds chamber and fire most times but, sometimes it will fail to chamber one of those. Again, I saw nothing in Dillon's "Blue Press" or Lone Wolf's web site about bullet shapes. Thanks
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a classic 3 point style jam.

Try seating slightly deeper or shallower. Watch pressures if going deeper though. The nose is binding on the top of the chamber.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a G19 Lone Wolf barrel (ofrom lone wolf) for my Dad to shoot lead with a year ago Christmas. We had shot a 115g LSWC bullet for years that we cast in several different 9mm's. It would not feed at all in this barrel and the accuracy was horrible. After closely looking at the barrel it did not look finished. The crown was uneven and the ramp was rough with a lip on it. I contacted Lone Wolff and sent it back. They had it for about 3 weeks and returned it saying they had redone the crown and recut the feed ramp. No, sorry our quality control did not work or reimbursement for shipping. It still will not feed the SWC's but it is more accurate now with RN bullets. I won't be buying another.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course they are not going to tell you, but European guns do not in general do well with American style semiwadcutter bullets and an aftermarket barrel does not change that. Try some truncated conicals.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    ARE you taper crimping the load see my sticky post on top of this forum. also with a semi wadcutter you need some of the full size lead projecting in front of the case mouth.
    edited November -1
    The 'dye is already cast', I have loaded about 1000 rounds of several types of semi wad cutters. I'm going to fight my way through the jams and what nots until I have exhausted the reloads. Then I think I will make someone a heck of a deal on a Glock 22 w/box, papers, mags, brass, etc.
    Sometimes I wonder why I didn't just stick with my .22s and trusty .45s. They're fun to shoot and eat just about anything and everything. To think I got into reloading because my doctor said I needed to get some stress release from my job at a nuclear reactor research facility. BTW... No, I'm not a 'rocket scientist', I was just an engineering type flunky. Thanks again guys.
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    rather than cast lead, try plated bullets like Raineer, or Barrys. I have great luck with these, and you can use your Glock barrel with no worries about KB's!
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Glock 34 with a Lone Wolf barrel that I cast round nose bullets for and have never had a problem 1 with it. When I bought the barrel from them I sent them 5 demo cartridges (no primer,no powder) and they fitted the chamber to my reloads for free. Works like a charm, very accurate and I highly recomend them. You have to stay within the parameters of the system, talk to the reps and not fight what doesn't work. Don't blame the firearm for your mistakes. Find what works and work within the limits of the system. I use mine to compete in USPSA compitition and do very well with the Glock.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Thank's 'Pistollero 1050' for the information. I will contact them when they open for business this moring. I can/will send them whatever is necessary (inert rounds) to get this barrel to work for me. I will let you know what they say.
    edited November -1
    Well, I called Lone Wolf and decribed my problem and any possible solutions. Got nothing! They can't or will not do anything to help out. Don't want the barrel back for gunsmithing...let me put it another way, they don't want the barrel back period. Can you tell I'm going to be a repeat customer with these guys? I then called Dillon, from whom I purchased the barrel. They will take it back and refund my money. Dillon has always been great to deal with. If you're going to deal with Lone Wolf, good luck because you're going to need it.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, That is a suprise. I met them at the gun show in phoenix and they were great in everyway. I guess things can change.[V][xx(][:(][?]