In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

sizing die leaving scratches on case

bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
After about 1000 rounds, my 45/70 die looks like it has some scratches inside. I deprime, wet tumble, and try to keep all clean.
Search in forum turned up superfine abrasive and honeing oil. Is this still the way to correct or should I just leave it alone?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have polished out several dies by using crocus cloth held in a home made mandrel and a drill moter. Don't over do it.
  • deerslayer3deerslayer3 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the shop we make what we call a whip. A piece of 1/4" steel rod with a hacksaw cut in the middle of the end about 1/2" deep. You can double over a small piece of fine emery cloth and put the rod in a die grinder. You can WHIP the hole into a nice shine. That's how we polished stuff for our customers.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie and Deer....Thats what my thoughts were, just wanted confirmation...
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you use something that can remove metal, try wrapping a bore brush with a patch rubbed with Flitz or JB Paste. Run that in a drill until the die gets hot in your hand.

If that fails to polish the die, then turn to crocus cloth. Repeat the Flitz treatment after the crocus cloth to polish out the marks it leaves.

BTW, I'm assuming this is a steel die that requires cases be lubed before sizing. If it's a carbide die, you probably can't polish it yourself.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I do as above but with 0004 steel wool. after you get the die cleaned up take a long look at your lubrication (read 'get some IMPERIAL SIZING WAX')
  • deerslayer3deerslayer3 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes Rocky, you are correct. Trying to polish carbide with emery is like using your head to hammer a nail.

quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Before you use something that can remove metal, try wrapping a bore brush with a patch rubbed with Flitz or JB Paste. Run that in a drill until the die gets hot in your hand.

If that fails to polish the die, then turn to crocus cloth. Repeat the Flitz treatment after the crocus cloth to polish out the marks it leaves.

BTW, I'm assuming this is a steel die that requires cases be lubed before sizing. If it's a carbide die, you probably can't polish it yourself.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I polish my Dies with a bore Mop and J-B in a cordless Drill , Keep it moving in and out , Clean before starting !
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I find that the best thing you can do is disassemble your dies every few hundred rounds and thoroughly clean with a good solvent, followed by a dip in boiling water for about a minute and a light oiling. You wouldn't believe how much old lube, carbon, tumbler media, etc. can build up from what look to be clean cases, particularly just above the expander ball and at the top of the case neck.

In your case, I second the light polishing; personally I use a 12 gauge bore mop with a paste of comet cleanser if it's just light scratching. Polishes lightly and cleans all at once.

Also good for removing burrs in bullet molds- "Leementing".
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the help...I must have dropped a case or two between tumbling and sizing and picked up some dirt. I polished with a fine grade compound on cotton and a drill - scratches gone.
    I like the idea about boiling the die. Thanks again. Larry