In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Plated bullet data & experience

hfd_311hfd_311 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
I would like some input on loads for plated bullets. I have 124gr fp for 9mm, 165gr fp for 40 s&w & 185gr fp for 45 acp. I have been using AA #5 for these calibers but just picked up some W231 to try since #5 in next to impossible to find and I am almost out. Also have Red Dot, American Select and SR7625 on hand. Have been using 5.5gr of #5 in the 9mm and 9gr of #5 in the 45 as a trial. Loading simply for practice rounds that burn clean and have comfortable recoil along with accuracy. Was planning on trying 6 gr of #5 or around 5 gr of 231 in the 40. 4.5gr of the 231 in the 9mm and 5.5gr of 231 in the 45. Any other loads, suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    May be ok for plinking but They don't shoot as small size groups as either Jacketed or Lead bullets "PROPER SIZE AND BULLET LUBE. In a Ransom rest. The plating for the most part is not thick enough to keep the sharp edges of the lands from touching the lead core. Some people like them I do NOT
  • hfd_311hfd_311 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response Perry. I agree with your thoughts on the accuracy. I have 3 female beginner shooters in te family and these bullets are intended to be low cost practice rounds in an effort to reduce lead fouling. If I had the time I would take a seat at the melting pot and cast some. The bullets I have were real close to the same price as cast so decided to give them a try
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    I have no trouble with them at all. I use 231.

I load both 40 smith and 45 ACP....the 40's go out a factory glock barrel....hundreds of times now...ZERO problems. They are also more accurate than me. I have done max loads.(jacketed max! I have loaded lots, again no problems...zero, zip)but I prefer midrange loads a little better.

I do 180 grain in the 40 and 230 in the 45. I also only use Rainier Tried Barrys, and while I had no trouble with them, I just like Rainier.

Like everything in reloading....these work very well me me in my guns....they may not in yours....
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can't dump all plated bullets into the same bucket. Quality varies, and most of the complaints or criticisms you hear about "plated bullets" simply don't apply to bullets from the better makers.

I can heartily recommend the products from Berry's and Rainier. Both are first-class.

A few special considerations for plated bullets:

Don't launch them too fast. Each company has a velocity recommendation for their bullets; stick to that or under for best results.

Use load data about halfway between that for cast and jacketed, subject to the velocity limit mentioned above.

Don't crimp too aggressively. Crimp a test round and the pull that bullet. If you cut the plating, the crimp is excessive. Tapered crimps and the Lee Factory Crimp work better than a roll crimp in this regard but a moderate roll crimp works fine, too.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    using rainier hollowpoint plated bullets in those weights, I've had good results with medium loads of blue dot for each of those calibers using regular jacketed loading data. Max loads using jacketed data will push the plated ones too fast and accuracy declines. Right smack dab in the middle is where they seem to like it. Seat them as long as you can with them still fitting in the mag and chambering correctly. Only crimp enough to straighten the flare back out. Any more crimp is too much.

The hollow points all shoot better than the round noses in 9mm and 45 and better than the flat point (truncated cone) 40. I've switched to hollow points exclusively because at about 30 cents more per hundred, I figure I might as well.

Of course this only applies to the bullets from rainier. YMMV with others.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Berry's 180 grain flat points in my Glock 40's (35, 23, & 27) and am real happy with the accuracy I'm getting.
    4.3 grains of Titegroup for powder and CCI SP primers makes for a nice shooting load with no FTF's, FTE's or any other problems
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Berry's for years, mostly with Unique and 700X in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. I use them for informal plinking and practice and have no problems with any of the forms and weights I have tried. Gil has always worked hard to produce a quality product.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berry's for me as well. I load to lead bullet specs with Unique in .38 Spl-.357 Mag, .44 Spl-.44 Mag, .45 Colt, and have never, ever had any issues.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >May be ok for plinking but They don't shoot as small size groups as either Jacketed or Lead bullets

+1.
    I have tried 'em and found 'em to be pretty unimpressive in terms of group size.
    Won't find many Bullseye shooters using 'em--but very big in the "fast and furious" action pistol field.
    Accuracy is a 25-50 yard measure. My goal is usually <1.5" at 25 and <3.5" at 50. Won't win me much, but those are my accuracy targets.
    I find many people judge accuracy by: (1) can they hit a 6" plate at less than 25 yards and (2) how small a group do they get at 7 to 10 yards. I also notice that very seldom does any one mention what they mean by "its accurate in my guns."
    I get jacketed bullets, when I could get them, from Montana Gold, Precision Delta, and Zero Bullets. Very accurate, very consistent, and, as of the prior two years, the same cost as Rainier, Berry's, and such.
    Other than that, I shoot lead almost religiously.
  • hfd_311hfd_311 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bullets I just got are from Xtreme. The last ones I had in 9mm were Berry's and I liked them fine. The Xtreme's were what I could get and they took 10 weeks. They sure look good. Thanks to all of you for your input. Thinking I will do the old standby thing and load some sets of 10 in some different powder charges and see what I like. There is something to be said about the satisfaction of working up your own recipe. Just not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel lol.
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Rainier bullets.
    They make a 150gr .356 double struck for 38super. Several revolver shooters love this bullet! They use it in their 627+ in 38special, 38super autos, and 9mm. Its a accurate and versital bullet. It has a thicker jacket than others.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought some Berry Bullets for my 500 Mag reloads to plink with. The box says they're rated for 2000fps. They have a thicker plating on them than other plated bullets that I've seen before so I guess they know what they're advertizing. For plinking I don't usually use max. loads for plinking anyway so I don't intend to find out if they'll lead the barrel or not at 2000fps.