In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder Measure Jam

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
Yesterday, while loading 9mm and 32L with Unique the powder stopped filling or became intermittent.
I attributed it to leaving powder in the hopper for a week or two
with the powder clotting due to humidity.
That turned out NOT to be the case.
A tiny piece of container seal had fallen into the powder, bridging the spout way down, causing partial or complete stoppage.
Container seals don't come off cleanly.
This may have explained some recent range issues.
Cutting the container seal carefully isn't enough.
It's a bit messy but I'm going to dump and inspect all my powders.

Comments

• Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    May want to think about pulling bullets on loaded rounds?
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Of course I pulled a half dozen till I got to full cases.
    A range rod and mallet isn't a bad idea to take to the range.
    Excluding my own experiences, I've witnessed at least six instances of centerfire duds.
    22LR duds are more commonplace.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After an extended period of time not using my Lyman 55 powder drop I was getting very erratic charges. What ended up being the problem was a small spider egg sac blocking about half of the drop tube...needless to say from there on out, checking the tube for blockage is standard procedure[:)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello V35 90+ 5 of 22LR duds are product of poor handling during shipping or poor manufacturing process. . you can find the cause by removing the bullet while holding the case of the dud mouth up. Then pour the powder in the palm of your hand in good light

IF YOU SEE SMALL DOTS OF GREEN MIXED IN WITH THE GREY POWDER.
    then the priming compound has broken away from the case rim . Now look in with good light from the case mouth and look at priming compound.
    are there any voids . [?] if you do not find any primer intermixed in the power then still look in the case mouth and look for voids in the primer it should be in all 360 degrees of the rim. if not problem was in the manufacturing process. Then take two boxes of ammo from same lot number take one in the palm of your hand and holding it only 6 inches above a table Smack that box onto the table THINK Delivery Truck driver I bet you a beer the box you smacked fro just 6 inches will have MANY MANY MORE duds than the other box.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Recent times more than in years past there are clearly more duds especially in 22LR. For this reason I wont alter hammer fall to lighten trigger pull on any pistol or rifle except maybe SAAs which have too much anyway.
    I'm inclined to point the finger at manufacturing cost cutting.
    In examining range duds, I see way too many light hammer strikes.
    We at least have control over these FTFs.
    As you say priming compound may have less adhesion to 22 cases
    perhaps due to case cleaning. Rough handling during bulk packaging may also be an issue.
    I've heard of factory tumbling of loaded rounds but I'm not in favor of it for my handloads.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality control isn't what it was in a market where you can sell every box you can push out the door, crappy or not.

Most all dud 22 I looked at had priming issues either flaked away or completely missing, the erratic squib rounds I suspect of poor powder dispensing.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my first CCI Mini-Mag dud the other day...have had other rimfire duds before, but never a Mini-Mag.