In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brass question/suggestion

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
I recently purchased a 257 Wby and want to load for it. I currently have another 257 that I am planning on getting rid of and want to send the existing brass and loads with it since most of its life is used up. So my question is if you were going to go out and buy new brass would you go with the Norma/Wby or something else? I see that Norma is about $2 each where Nosler is a little cheaper followed by Hornady. Thoughts? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really likes my Norma 7mm R mag brass. I got 12 boxes in 76 and still have them. A few years ago I bought 200 Weatherby marked 7mm R mag that I think were Norma made. All these have been fired formed, uniformed and just need loading.

Maybe try a box of each and see how they are. My last purchace of Rem and Win brass was disapointing.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been very pleased with the Hornady brass in my 300 Wby the Remington, a bit less so as it seems a bit harder at the neck and mouth. I lost faith in Norma when I was priming some cases, fired three times, and the primer pocket pushed thru into the case on some of the cases - I trashed the whole batch. The Nosler brass weighs a little less than the others, but all shoot to the same point with the same load.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it isn't a match grade rifle, or at least a heavy barreled rifle, I doubt you will see any difference from a sporter barrel.

I just ordered new Hornady brass for the 257 I just had put together from parts (MK V action, fluted lightweight wthby barrel, pillar bedded fiberglass stock)
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thoughts were more with life than accuracy. I have always had Wby/Norma and heard that it is thicker and tends to last longer.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if thicker is what you want, look for some of the 300wthby brass made by Remington, and neck that down. Their brass is among the thickest around[;)]
  • 4Huntin4Huntin Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry if your brass is used up, don't pass it on.
    Just sayin.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a suggestion but I wouldn't send ANY loaded ammo with the sold rifle if that's what you were meaning. Maybe not even loading info.
    I'm using 257 Wby ammo loaded in necked down and fireformed 264 Win mag Win brand brass. They work fine but come out just a lttle short. Loads worked up with Win brass may not be applicable to Norma/Wby branded brass.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I have fallen in love with Nosler brass, it is very consistant and needs almost no prep to make it perfect. Dare that I say that it is almost as good as Lapua for half the cost. I tossed all of my non-nosler 223 brass for 5 rifles, 2 handguns and it is the only brass I will use for the 6X45 and 7mmTCU.

Now this experance is only based on Nosler's 223 brass and not on their Weatherby brass so your milage may vary.