In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9.3x62

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
Any one want to share any loads for this one? I've got some Privi cases and 286 gr. bullets. Got a CZ550 coming from the auction side. I've got a lot of loading books and can get loads from there and from websites but thought I'd check here, too.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9.3×62mm

Interesting cartridge. I'd be loading at least lightly compressed charges, perhaps on the heavy side so I could use a light(er) crimp to keep the bullets in place.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Any one want to share any loads for this one? I've got some Privi cases and 286 gr. bullets. Got a CZ550 coming from the auction side. I've got a lot of loading books and can get loads from there and from websites but thought I'd check here, too.
    I found that even with the heavy bullets, you almost can't overpressure yourself using anything above H4895

I ended up working up to 56 gr. of H4895X behind a Nosler partion in my Husqvarna.

I also used slightly more RE-15 and just a tad less than that of IMR4064.

I've also worked up with AA2015 but don't remember where I ended up at. I also understand H4198 is a good powder for this round.
    Never anything really too much slower than those powders.

I've never taken my loads all the way flat primers as of yet. Recoil is a bit stout in my rifle.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

It's funny how different rifles will respond to different loads of powder, bullets and primers. Yet 'sandwarrior' and I probably have extremely similar rifles but get slightly varying results.

My Husqvarna likes the 286 Partitions just like most rifles do but I have found that using either IMR-3031 or Ramshot Big Game gives me the best performance. These loads will stay right near the suggested pressure level (which is very mild) yet fill the case to nearly full. As 'sandwarrior' points out, the stock design for the Husqvarna is not conducive to reducing recoil at all. I have saved the original stock but made a new one better suited to handling the recoil and not damaging my cheek bone...

Best.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've put up 10 rounds each with RL15 and Varget. When the rifle gets here and when (and if: It's snowing like the Christmas songs here now) the weather clears I'll get started seeing what the rifle likes. I will probably divide the range time with the .35 Whelen and the .338-06 for comparison. I might even include the .350 Remington Magnum.

I tried to get you guys to talk me out of the 9.3 since I already had the Whelen and the .338-06 but you were no help!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

Why would we ever try to talk you out of getting a rifle chambered for this fine cartridge? [:D]

Best.
  • steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My CZ 550 does very well with 286gr Partitions and Ramshot BigGame.

I don't think this load is published anywhere but Handloader Magazine.

Works for me.

BigGame-1.jpg
    edited November -1
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Steve, that's a great group! And it looks like I'm going to have to dig through my old Handloader magazines.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Thanks guys. Steve, that's a great group! And it looks like I'm going to have to dig through my old Handloader magazines.

article "Medium Mediums" by John Barsness in the December-January 2008 issue (#250) of Handloader magazine: