In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W model 10-8

I have a smith and Wesson model 10-8 with I think a heavy barrel.Is it OK to shoot +P reloads?It is in very good shape

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a K frame so it should handle it. With a real 38 Special load your pistol will last almost forever. If you want 357 performance forever you should get one on a N frame.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    That gun, in a slightly different guise, is the .357 Model 13. But like Charliemeyer007 suggests, the K-frames will suffer from long-term use of heavy-recoiling ammunition where the N-frames, won't. It's not the strength of the K-frames, as Model 10's and Model 15's have been shown to handle ammunition of twice the operating pressure of the .357, but it's the pounding of the heavy recoil that will overtake everything. When the Model 19 was developed on the K-frame, S&W had to modify the hand with a second stud to keep the hand from being thrown out of cylinder ratchet engagement from recoil that the gun was never meant to take, even though it was strong enough to hold the pressures.

(I think Charliemeyer put it better, and in fewer words).
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    On top of above, forcing cones crack and top straps cut with hotter ammo [B)]