In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dupont 5066

IndianrunfarmIndianrunfarm Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
I picked up a couple of pounds of Dupont 5066 to load 45acp. Its an old powder but was sealed in the original cans and has a good either smell when opened, appearence is like it was made yesterday. Best data I can find was for 5.7 grains for 830 FPS. I started at 5.0 and loaded 2 rounds at 5.0, 2 at 5.5 and 2 at 5.7 to be safe. When shot it barely pushed the lead out of the barrel. Sounded like primer only except no powder residue in the barrel. Small amount lit with a match burns quick and clean. I use unique at 5.0 normally and on my Dillion had to crank it way down to get 5.0 of 5066. Long time loaders what am I missing? Powder may be just old and bad , It just seems like 5.0 grains is to light for a stick powder. I can take it back but hate to seeing as how hard powder is to get hold of. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a 1964 Lyman handbook 452374 225 gr. 5066 4.0 gr. 675 FPS; 5.7 gr. 870 FPS.

I would take the hint and not load any more. Bargain powder that destroys your gun and perhaps injures you is not a good deal. Even at $30 a pound your are feeding your 45 for less than three cents a pop.

If it smelled and looked good I would have tried it also. My last thought is the cases and bullets were oil/grease free in contact with the powder. I doubt a primer alone will push a bullet out the barrel, so I think it's trying to burn. Your primers light the Unique OK?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some old data to go with your old powder.

From Handloader's Digest 1964
    .45 ACP
    185 gr JSWC + 4.2 gr P5066 = 655 fps 25 yd bullseye load?
    185 gr JSWC + 5.8 gr P5066 = 1005 fps MAXIMUM
    230 gr FMJ + 5.7 gr P5066 = 830 fps MAXIMUM

BE CAREFUL!!! I WOULD NOT USE IT UNLESS I BOUGHT IT NEW AND I KNEW HOW IT WAS STORED FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5066...good powder for the 45ACP. Replaced Dupont #5.
    If you got two cans..that's one pound. (8oz/can)
    From your description, there should be nothing wrong with the
    powder...age has little effect. (storage defects would be apparent)
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I used 5066 with good results back in the 1960's, for .45 service ball equivalent loads. If your powder was stored for some length of time near a strong heat source, it may have undergone some degradation not necessarily noticeable by cursory inspection.

Use caution when buying old powder in metal containers. I once purchased a bunch at an auction, and when I poured it out to take a good look at it, I found that there was red powdery rust mixed in with it, from corrosion inside of the cans (well, there's nothing like loading ammunition with Thermite, LOL).