In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Case length for .35 Remington question

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
I currently do not load for the .35 Remington but load for several other rifle and handgun rounds. I recently was given my late Grandfather's Marlin 336 rifle chambered in .35 Remington. I live in Indiana and cannot use this round as a legal round in our hunting season. (he was from Virginia) Our state is SLOWLY allowing rifles but is currently only allowing lever action rifles in handgun rounds (like .44 Mag, .357 Mag ect) and they have set the maximum allowable case length currently at 1.625" and a min bullet diameter of .357" NEXT year one of the proposed changes is to increase the case length to 1.8" which is just .12" below the .35 Rem. My question is if any one has any idea what trimming a .35 Rem down to 1.8" would do to the pressures and also to see if anyone thinks this could be done safely? I haven't done much for experimenting on this type of thing and sure dont' want to risk hurting this rifle but it would be GREAT to hunt with it... legally! SO, anyone got any suggestion?

What really burns my buns is that Indiana allows the .35 Rem if it's in a handgun! Go figure.

Comments

• Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .35 Rem. has a short for caliber neck length already . I don't think shortening it over another 1/10th of an inch is a good idea . You also might be treading on some very thin legal ice as well . If the book says the .35 Rem has a case length of 1.92 , and a warden finds you with a .35 in a shorter than standard case , he is going to site you . Then your best case scenario will be a judge that agrees with you . You may not stand in front of that judge or he may not exist ! Either way i doubt the legal fees would justify trying to pull the wool over the authority's eyes . They get down right ugly when their intelligence is insulted . Get yourself a Super 14 Contender or build a wildcat cartridge 1.8 inches long . I can't believe there isn't someone in Indiana working on such a project !
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Contender in 35 Rem is excellent for Indiana deer and legal.
  • Options
    wild bunch guywild bunch guy Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like 35 cal. I would go with 358 Winchester, good to over 200 yds With Hornady 35 cal 180gr SSPB, use a Contender or XP-100 or the most reasonable & easy to do is a Savage Striker with a bbl change.I started with a 308 Winchester Striker, Put a Adams & Bennett rifle bbl cut & recrowed to 15". Use any good load out of a reloading manual & "PRESTO" 2" Groups at 200 yds.

WBG