In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A MEC Bottle Question

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
The threads on soda bottles is the same as those on MEC bottles.

Anyone know of any issues using the soda bottles, other than they don't have the filler holes? If not, I'd recommend the thickest ones around.

The soda caps could substitute for the metal caps MEC sells.

Thanks again

Jim

Comments

• rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it the same type of plastic? I'd be concerned that it might be more prone to developing a static charge or maybe a plastic that attracts the powder so it doesn't flow smoothly. Also, is there enough room between the two bottles to use a larger bottle?

I have two MECs, so I guess I can play with it.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could but they are thin...
    If your old ones are getting cloudy. You can clean them up.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming you don't need/want to dump your bottles often, using a 2ltr bottle for the shot jar is a old trick on the progressive MEC's.
    Take your tall "shot" jar and install it over the powder bushing, than screw a 2ltr with the bottom cut out over the shot bushing.

IF you NEED to dump, cap the "powder" jar, and have someone hold a pail under the shot jar so as to catch the shot.

A 2ltr bottle will hold a full 25# of shot

Than the only thing that will slow down a reloading session is the constant refilling of the primer tray.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

I'm not sure I want to use a 2 liter bottle with 25 lbs of shot. Think I'll split a bag into 2 or 3 bottles. I think this would be a good way to store shot and switch shot size on a reloader. Just label the bottle with a marker and cap it.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a bunch of bottles from a local undertaker. The embalming fluid bottle fit perfect.