In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Load data for 25-06

ltmltltmlt Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
I would like to try the new RL17 for my 25-06 with the 100grs TSX.
I normaly use RL22 and IMR4831 with my 100grs TSX with good result, but I just got RL17 from a friend who used it for is 300WSM.
In the new Reloader's guide from Alliant Powder, they are listing RL17 for 100grs Speer bullets with more speed than with RL22.I can't find any other data since this is a new powder. I could work up a load but it will take time and lots of bullets. So if somebody has some experiance with that powder and the TSX,your advice is welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you check their website? They have info there that has helped me a couple of times.
  • ltmltltmlt Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    Did you check their website? They have info there that has helped me a couple of times.
    Yes I did,nothing on their website for the RL17,and I sent them an email with no reply yet.

Thank you
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Itmlt,

What I have found is RE-17 usually ends up at max at about the lower 2 gr. of where H4350 starts. Meaning if the load range for a given bullet using H4350 powder, RE-17 max would be around the start or one grain up, depending on case. Reduce 5%-7% and that should be your start load.

Some things I have found and try to caution people with this powder. Generally, it has a much more useful, active burn retardant than powders of this kind previously have. What I've seen people want to do then is get as much velocity out of it as they can. You really do need to stick to the normal reloading schedule provided. I found what happens is you tend to get higher velocities but they start to become erratic. Like 100 fps splits. And of course, the accuracy follows. Back it back down to where velocities are stable and you won't have problems.
    Also, even though this powder was developed to work better in WSSM's and WSM's, it doesn't work all that well in WSSM's. Due to their nature of having a high pressure curve near peak pressures. The advantage of the burn retardant is then lost. So far for me it has worked exceptionally well in the .243, 6mm Rem, .257 Rob, 25-06, .270, 7x57, 7mm-08, .280AI, .308, and 30-06. I have only loaded one lot of 20 of the .300 WSM's behind Nos 150 BT's. They went extremely well. But, more testing is needed for them.

-hope that helps

In case you didn't follow me, start load should be around 44 gr. and topout I'm assuming would be 47-48 gr. But you want to work up at the upper end a little slower than the bottom end. If you have a chrono that helps too. I would recommend doing a 2X2 ladder from 44 gr. up to 49 gr. and seeing where that takes you. If 47 or 48 look hot don't shoot the higher loads.
    edited November -1
    Thank you Sandwarrior,
    I just received a note from Barnes:
    Although we don't have any data using the new RL-17 in the 25-06, 100 grain TSX/TTSX, it is fine to use Alliant's data for lead core bullets. They show a maximum of 53.0 grains. Reduce by 10% to start. As always, be sure to start at the minimum and work up slowly, watching for signs of high pressure. Here is a link to their data area: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx Thank you for your patronage.

I will take into consideration your advise and work up a load.

I did work up a load for my friend 300WSM with RL17 and 180grs Accubond, the best load was 66.0 grains of RL17 with an average speed of 3207fps and a grouping under an inche at 100 yards.

Thank you
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not a 25-06, but I have used RL-17 with a 270 WSM and 130gr SST. Best groups to date with the bullet .005" from lands. Have not checked velocity yet. But usually shoots right around .5moa. Very good for me.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltmlt
    Thank you Sandwarrior,
    I just received a note from Barnes:
    Although we don't have any data using the new RL-17 in the 25-06, 100 grain TSX/TTSX, it is fine to use Alliant's data for lead core bullets. They show a maximum of 53.0 grains. Reduce by 10% to start. As always, be sure to start at the minimum and work up slowly, watching for signs of high pressure. Here is a link to their data area: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx Thank you for your patronage.

I will take into consideration your advise and work up a load.

I did work up a load for my friend 300WSM with RL17 and 180grs Accubond, the best load was 66.0 grains of RL17 with an average speed of 3207fps and a grouping under an inche at 100 yards.

Thank you

Itmlt,

What was the barrel length on that rifle? Thats a little over 100fps faster than what Alliant says you should be getting. If he has a longer barrel, say 26" vs. 24" then that would explain it. Otherwise, if you are not seeing erratic velocities and high pressure signs on your case then that's a good load. It shows what this powder can do. Brought up to the right pressures with the right barrel length it can increase velocities by around 100 fps. Just look for erratic velocities as summer goes on. If you get that then back it down a grain. You also may be getting higher velocities based on a tighter chamber. Again though, this powder will start showing erratic velocities and accuracy when pushed too high.
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,
    The rifle was a Browning (dont remember the model) with a 24in. barrel.
    And you are right the velocity is way over what Alliant says.But I did start loading at 63.0 grs of RL17 with a col of 2.860 up to 66.0 grs with no sign of pressure.I got those speed using my Chrony Alpha.I stopped at 66.0 grs because the speed was there and the grouping was good.
    Thank you