In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reduced loads

Duck HeadDuck Head Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
hi,,,what exactly does reduced loads mean,,,i recently acquired a bunch of speer 243 cal. 90 grain fmj bullets,,,my main powder i use is imr 4198,,,the manual says 19 grains reduced load,,,but says 46 grains of imr 4831,,,does this mean i should work my way up from 1900 fps to 3171 fps.i reload for 12 different calibers and have never run across this,,,any help is appreciated,,,joe[:(]

Comments

• Duck HeadDuck Head Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you use cast bullet data for jacketed bullets? I'd like to test expansion at low velocities over a chrono (below starting load speeds) at short range to guarantee a hit into my expansion box instead of shooting full power loads at 200 yds + maybe missing the mark and walking that far and back. I'm a little handicapped and can't do much walking and don't tell me to use an ATV or other crutch.My Gun Club don't allow vehicles on the range which I'm all for the rule.Thanks in advance.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What caliber gun are you wanting to test reduced loads?

I used reduced reloads in several calibers using jacketed bullets from 223 caliber for squirrel hunting at 22 caliber velocities (1400-1600fps)

and

Youths and small frame people also use several of my LV reloaded jacketed bullet calibers at 30/30 velocities for target practice and deer hunting! I select the powders charge usually so as the scoped gun will group within 2 inchs of a High velocity load at 100 yards, therefore the scope does not have to be reset when changing from LV mild recoil to regular HV load! (they can also target practice with the LV load and not get kicked severely.
    Some of the LV calibers I reload for are 30/06, 270, 7mm Rem and 7mm Wby mags!

I (we) cannot just simply answer your question with a YES without knowing your caliber, type of gun, etc, as some powders ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR REDUCED LOADS and are dangerous doing such!.

Some of the calibers that I reload for using a specific powder for LV were not listed in the caliber specific reload manuals, therefore I got recommendations from the powder manu's for suggested reduced LV loads!
    Several of the caliber specific reload manuals have reduced load data for jacket bullets for rifles.
    (for example you might see reduced load LV data for a 7mm Rem mag, in it's manual, but not for a 7mm WBY mag in it's caliber specific manual, you can write to the suggested powder manu of the 7mm Rem and ask if they will recommend a min and max load for use of their powder for the 7mm WBY mag reduced load!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can use reduced loads with jacketed bullets- BUT you need a powder that behaves well with reduced loads.

Several of my .30 rifles for instance do well with SR 4759 charges in the 20 grain range. Produces about 1800 fps.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say that using lead bullet data with jacketed bullets is risking sticking one in the bore. Use only the recommended load data from a printed source.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do remember that the reduced muzzle velocity will also mean a reduced spin rate on the bullet. Slower rotation can have a noticeable effect on expansion because of the much-reduced centrifugal force on the bullet. Expansion might be less than you'd get in a full load, in other words. Make your evaluations accordingly.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accurate 5744 is used for a lot of reduced loads, check their website. Might have what you need.

I think Trail Boss would be way too slow.

Good luck. Let us know what happens. I'd second the idea of published loads only with reduced loads.

Edit: For those calibers you should have no problem getting reuced load data from Accurate for 5744.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skyfish
    Accurate 5744 is used for a lot of reduced loads, check their website. Might have what you need.

I think Trail Boss would be way too slow.

Good luck. Let us know what happens. I'd second the idea of published loads only with reduced loads.

Skyfish is right on! 5744 is what I use, but only use published data and Accurate Arms is real good about sending you a technical opinion of using their 5744 as a reduced load for some calibers!

You might even check Accurate Arms website for your reduced load velocity desired!

You will find that most of the powder manufactures will not commit to your question due to,THE HOT CUP OF COFFEE IN THE CROTCH SYNDROME!
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out the Hodgdon's Data Center for "Youth Loads"
  • Duck HeadDuck Head Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I'm talking 30-06,308 and 7mm Rem. Mag. 30 cal =150,165,180 gr and 7mm 140,150,160,162,175 gr bullets. Never considered rotational speed, as I thought 2000 fps at 400 yd or 2000 fps at 25 yd there should be no difference. BTW, Does the bullet stop spinning when it hits and starts to expand? or how soon after it hits? Never saw or heard that question in 40 yrs yet.Never saw an expanded bullet with spiraled petals, they are always straight as an arrow.Look at Remington's ads for Core-Lokt's and Winchesters ads for their pistol bullets like the old Black Talons.(of which I have one)it's beautiful, I'm gonna make a button out of it, 45 cal. I guess I answered my own question about that one.Thanks for the replies.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullets don't lose their rpm nearly as fast as velocity which makes a big diff in expansion. They also don't stop spinning when hitting flesh. Some bullet manufactureres will state the designed velocity parameters as in 1800-3200 fps. It makes a diff if this is muzzle or impact velocity BTW. If you want reduced loads, start with the smaller cases. I have loaded reduced loads in a 25/06 and 90 grain hpbt with info from Sierra which performed well but some for a 243 with 100 grainers just punched holes w/o expansion.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look at photos of Barnes bullets, you'll see that all of them show uniformly angled petals - the result of rotation after expansion. You can also clearly see spiral lines in ballistic gelatin which resulted from the bullet's rotation. If I had to guess, I'd say that the bullet rotates until it ceases forward movement.

As John Barseness recently wrote, all bullets achieve full expansion by about the time they have moved their own length in flesh. What happens after that depends on bullet construction. Some fragment, some retain their integrity and some do a bit of both. Penetration depends more on the frontal area of the bullet than on retained weight. Bullets that expand the most penetrate the least, and vice versa.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.