In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet Mold for 30/40

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
A friend would like me cast some 200 to 220 gr bullets for with 311 dia. I located a couple of Lyman molds that seem to fit and are out of production so the search may take some time for the mold. If gas checks are called for must they be installed? I would cast hard bullets & don't have a sizer.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you can shoot them barefoot. I do it all the time as I don't feel like paying 40 bucks a thousand for gas checks. The trade off is you can not push them as fast. What rifle are you loading for? I have bought molds off e bay with great luck, the trick is make sure they know what they have. Unsized could be ok but you still need to lube them. I shot lots of Lyman 311334 190 gr plainbase in a Krag with good results lubed with either marfax waterpump grease or 50/50 beewax/alox.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    First, you should check bore diameter by slugging it. If you arrived at .311" by this method, then all is well.

Second, you should consider the bore diameter (probably somewhere around .302"). Select a mold with a .311"+ base area and .302 or greater nose so it rides the lands.

For a cheap try, Lee makes a 200 gr mold that drops at about 311 (even though they bill it as a 309). Works very well in my Krag. You might also try the Lyman 311299 or 314299 (sized down a little). Or the 311284.

You can get a .311 sizer from Lee for about $9 that screws into your press. Will also crimp on the check.

You don't absolutely need a check even with bullets intended for one, but you'll have to limit velocity to around 1000 fps max. I shoot some plain based ones with 5 gr of Bullseye pistol powder at 50 yards, or 9 gr of Trail Boss, they run about 900 fps. Mousefart loads, very quiet.

I would however get the gas checks. For an extra 3 cents per round, being able to push up to 2000 fps is worth it to me as I find accuracy is better in the 1800 fps range- too fast for plain base.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second jonk's wise words. Don't forget to look at Lee moulds, especially since this is a project for a friend who may not wish to continue with it long enough to justify the cost of a Lyman.

If you don't actually need a .311" bullet, the Lee mould for the .30-30 will work very well indeed in a Krag. It is their 309C-170-FP. Finding .30-caliber gas checks is a whale of a lot easier than finding the larger ones you'd need for a .311" bullet.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I second jonk's wise words. Don't forget to look at Lee moulds, especially since this is a project for a friend who may not wish to continue with it long enough to justify the cost of a Lyman.

If you don't actually need a .311" bullet, the Lee mould for the .30-30 will work very well indeed in a Krag. It is their 309C-170-FP. Finding .30-caliber gas checks is a whale of a lot easier than finding the larger ones you'd need for a .311" bullet.
    The same check is used for .309 and .311. Maybe in the past there were separate offerings but all .311 and .314 molds I've seen take a standard check. Which confuses me a bit, I admit, but they seem to work just fine.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I do remember .311" gas checks when I worked in a gun shop, and assumed they were still around and needed. But that was ten years ago.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.