In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pistol Competition Shooting

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
Ok, I have been back and fourth on my next firearm. I have been shooting a LOT of handgun lately (I have a Kimber 1911 Stainless Target II). I reload for it. After competing in a couple of IDPA, I realize that I need more magazine. I have (3) 21 round mags, shooting only reloads. What would be the advise of a fellow competitor for another target handgun? I REALLY like the NEW 5.25" Springfield. I am convinced that is what I am getting next. The only thing is I do not know which caliber to purchase!

9mm-More mag, cheap to shoot as well as fun at the range OR
45 ACP, I already reload for it so set up would be easy. and it has the knock down power.
40- better of both worlds?

9mm - 19+1 mag
.40 - 16+1 Mag
45- 13+1 mag.

I fell in love with handgun shooting over the past few months because I have discovered i'm fairly good at it!

Thanks for your help in advance with the time investment in my questions!!!

-Joe

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    #1-I don't know where you are shooting IDPA with more than 8 rounds in a 1911 mag [:0] Another thing is that the pistol with the mag in it has to fit in a box and anything longer than a 8rd. with mag pad won't fit.
    #2-In a 9mm IDPA limits you to only 10 rounds in a mag.

If you load for 45ACP, stick with another pistol in that caliber, unless you can afford to get set up for another one.
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I apologize for my first question. I will also be shooting IPSC and uspsa which some courses are 12+ rounds. ( I need to practice on reloads anyway but would like to omit that option with a standard mag). And it will also convince my wife for my to purchase another handgun =). I have a hornady AP press right now. All I would need is a shell plate and reloading dies for the reloading of another caliber. I have everything else. Thanks!

-Joe
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should read up on the different divisions within USPSA.
    You can shoot your Kimber in Single Stack with 8 round magazines or in Limited 10 with 10 round magazines. It would be out of place in Limited or Open where magazine capacites are much greater. You just need a lot of the appropriate magazine capacity, practice in reloading, and study of the stage to see where best to reload.

Looking at your wantlist XDm 5.25...
    19x9mm - A minor caliber, competitive only in Production where you are restricted to 10 rounds in the magazine.
    16x40 - A major caliber very popular in Limited. You would be competing versus guns like the Edge with 18 round or larger magazines. Not too bad for a "popularly priced" pistol.
    13x45 - From what I read, the old ACP is seldom seen in serious competion except for traditionalist Single Stack shooters. Where you are well equipped with the Kimber.