In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hot old 9mm Loads

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
I have 400 rounds of 9MM 115 gr full jacket round nose, loaded 4.9 Bullseye.

Came from a man who I bought out all his stuff. Made 21 years ago.

Obviously, Real Hot. 1200 FPS.[:0]

I know I shot a bunch of this maybe 5 years ago in a NIB 5906.

Is this load in any 1990's book you might have, and how does it compare to load guides today?

Asking cuz I have a 39-2 and a CZ75b they might get in.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Bill, who supplies that load data on Handloads.com ?
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my load compilation, starting loads range from 3.9-4.5gr and MAX loads range from 4.0-5.0gr.
    Did you already chronograph the load?
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman Reloading Handbook, 47 ed., 1992, lists 4.8 gr. Bullseye, 115 gr. Jacketed bullet, as the maximum load: 1184 fps, 31,700 C.U.P..
    There was only one other load with a slightly higher pressure using 231 powder. Personally, I would use them in the CZ and occasional use in the S&W 39. You take your chances with an aluminum frame of cracking a weak area if over stressed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Noylj,

I have a chrono, I think I should test them.

MBK
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded and shot several thousand rounds of 9mm with a 121 grain truncated cone bullet Lyman #356420 with 5.0 of bullseye with zero issues.

I would shoot them; your mileage may vary. [:)]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Possibly loaded to shoot in a Luger, it has been my experience that warmer loads are required to make them function properly.
    W.D.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I dont shoot anyones hand loads in one of my built for match shooting pistols . I will test handloads in a ransom rest in the pistol belonging to the person that did the handloading Might even shoot other persons hand loads in a BEATER / STOCK pistol
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've shot 115+124FMJ at 1200FPS in BHP,EAA Witness Sport, and Sig 226+228 with no problems [;)]
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a load from an early Name Brand manual that showed a 115 JHP at 1400 fps with a large dose of Herco, Tests through the FBI's chrono at a law enforcement range-master instructor school averaged 1415 fps out of my P-35. Load was not in the next edition of the manual. There are hot loads that make it into the book, but a 115 at 1200 is not real hot, it just may be the pressure curve with the B'eye is too abrupt. A standard +p 124 jhp is 1200.