In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dillon 650XL, which powder measure

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
Ok, my right arm is getting tennis elbow from reloading pistol rounds on my Rock Chucker [:D]

But seriously, I'm going to get a Dillon 650XL (I like the auto indexing feature, anything to reduce manual work). This will be only for my pistol rounds. But my dilemma is that I hear the powder measure that comes with the Dillon is not very consistent. I use Titegroup powder for some of my pistol loads and the "safe" range is very tight (for my 9mm it's stated to be between 4.3-4.8 grains). So I can't have a powder measure that throws +/-0.2 grains and feel safe, or shoot accurately (I like to shoot slow and accurate, relaxes me).

Is there a powder measure that I can buy separately that will give me at most +/-0.1 grain variation?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IF you are going to load pistol only and just a few different calibers Look into a STAR progressive reloader IT has the best powder measure ever made for small charges of pistol powders . Send me a message Double click my user name for more information
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Ok, my right arm is getting tennis elbow from reloading pistol rounds on my Rock Chucker [:D]

But seriously, I'm going to get a Dillon 650XL (I like the auto indexing feature, anything to reduce manual work). This will be only for my pistol rounds. But my dilemma is that I hear the powder measure that comes with the Dillon is not very consistent. I use Titegroup powder for some of my pistol loads and the "safe" range is very tight (for my 9mm it's stated to be between 4.3-4.8 grains). So I can't have a powder measure that throws +/-0.2 grains and feel safe, or shoot accurately (I like to shoot slow and accurate, relaxes me).

Is there a powder measure that I can buy separately that will give me at most +/-0.1 grain variation?

The Dillon measure is plenty accurate. It might not do well with stick powders as many measures don't.

I have zero issues with ball or flake powders on my 550 or 650.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using the 550 and also use Titegroup (4.2 grains in a 40 S&W) and have had zero problems with consistency. Stick powders don't do quite so well but the ball powders do great.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dillon measure works OK.
    The Hornady measure is bit more consistent, but TiteGroup, as much as I dislike it, meters fine in any measure I have. Next, the Lee Pro Auto-Disk is right up there with the Hornady for consistency, you just can't fine-tune the charge weight (not that I have seen much reason to as a good accurate powder is accurate over a fairly wide range of charge weights).
    For any of these measures, I get the caliber/cartridge specific expander (PTE die, PTX, or "powder funnel"), and not the generic case-mouth flare only expander. For lead bullets, I get a slightly larger expander or, for 9x19, I use a .38 expander.
    They all work well on any progressive press.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I have several SDB's and I believe they are the same powder set up. Using flake (Clays, 700X, Red Dot) they are extremely accurate. I check every 25 rounds and have never found variation, if so it's smaller then .1 grain.
    Don't know about ball or extruded powders, but most competitive pistol shooters I know of (under 70 yrs old Karl)use Dillon.

Best of luck

Karl: I know you love STAR (and no knock on them), but their equipment is not very available. Yea it was a "good nature" jab, but it was in good humor I hope. But you must admit, most pistol shooters are using Dillon because they're good and available. (BTW: If you remember me at Camp Perry, I'm old also and do have some Star Equipment). Humor me please, I know all powder droppers have a + and -.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I saw That GEEGUY [:0] Yes I do think currently made dillon has best customer customer ever[^] but there powder measures on all models SUCK [V] with different types of powder
    for pistol when compared to a star we can agree to disagree[:)]

[:X][;)]

editHey hey I am always in good humor when different Opinions show up . I have used friends Dillons every model on their high end I even owned a 350 first model they ever made I think. and customer service is THE BEST [^][^] I just wish they had used a better powder measure the % of error + or - one tenth of a grain is no big deal on 40 grain load for a rifle round is no big deal but + or - one tenth of a grain for a total of 2 tenths on a 4.5 grain 45acp load is in my opinion NOT good enough sort of like CHEVY or Ford I like a debate
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Titegroup is a ball process powder and will measure well in a Dillon or about anything else.

Nostalgia: I wish I had ponied up the extra money and bought a Star instead of a CH nearly 40 years ago.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For precision loads you won't get the high level of consistency with the Dillons that you will get with a stand-alone measure or a Star. I had a Star for a Looong time and it was great! We used it to load for our department PPC pistol team in both .38 Spl and .45 ACP. When it finally began showing signs of its age I contacted Star in San Diego and their quote for rebuilding mine would buy two Dillon 550s. So I went that way instead. It has worked fine as I am just loading for my casual use, now and the lack of fine measuring is not a concern.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    OK, I took my abuse about the STAR equipment, but it's not available from NJ new, and the question was "is there a better dropper that will fit on the Dillon 650 then what comes with the machine?"

I am not aware of anything "better" that will fit, and I believe, based on most of the comments above, you should stay with the Dillon unit. Start loading and check every few rounds to see if it meets with your expectations. I believe you will be just fine.

As always, this forum is a great learning experience for reloaders at all levels. Hope this helps, sorry for the little jab about the STAR equipment.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >I am not aware of anything "better" that will fit
    See my post. The Lee and Hornady will work, but I admit that Dillon makes their presses so "compact" that fit might be an issue (I wouldn't think so, but I've never tried--thought they work on my 1050s just fine). The Hornady is an excellent measure..
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

Karl, I researched the Star press and it looks great, but has a major downside. They don't make them anymore AND if I buy a used one and parts fail, it can get VERY expensive to fix.

On the other hand, as Karl said, for a pistol load +/- 0.2 grains makes a big difference. The Dillon measure may be fine for a ball powder like Titegroup, but that's not all I use or may use later. Titegroup is what I have started with and it has shown good results for my 45 loads, but if it doesn't work as well in other loads, then I'll be shopping around. So I really need a measure that is reliable across the board for pistol shooting.

So, here's the big question. If the Star measure is really that great, can I somehow put the measure from a Star press on a Dillon?
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it'd help to know if these are going to be plinking rounds or are you going to be shooting bullseye with them? Most any flake or ball powder is going to meter just fine out of the Dillon. I check 1 in 50 rounds just to be sure but after setting it 4 years ago at 4.2 grains of Titegroup and then loading thousands of rounds I have yet to have it throw a charge that didn't measure exactly 4.2 grains on the Lyman Ohaus scale.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    I guess it'd help to know if these are going to be plinking rounds or are you going to be shooting bullseye with them? Most any flake or ball powder is going to meter just fine out of the Dillon. I check 1 in 50 rounds just to be sure but after setting it 4 years ago at 4.2 grains of Titegroup and then loading thousands of rounds I have yet to have it throw a charge that didn't measure exactly 4.2 grains on the Lyman Ohaus scale.

Neo, I haven't been in any competitions, but as I mentioned, I shoot slow and try to make every shot count. I may plink once in a while, but usually I go for the 10 shots in as small a hole as possible. I find it very relaxing and gratifying when at the the end of each mag I only see one hole on the target (not that I always get that [:D]).
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest you go buy that Dillon 650 and try it out. Like most other measures, the accuracy has a lot to do with the way you cycle the press. If you do it the same way each time,it will be very consistent. If you are really that concerned, why not load your hundreds of practice rounds on your dillon and then just hand weigh each charge for the box or 2 you will use in competition.

I think Dillon may still offer a 30 day trial with a money back guarantee and if they don't, I will offer to buy that press for 2/3rds of the price you paid for it.[:D]

I don't have a 650 yet but have been thinking about getting one. I have several other Dillon products and have never been disappointed.
    edited November -1
    Well, I got the 550 instead. It's here and I'm just itching to put it together. I'll post results of my first couple of batches as soon as I get them going.