In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Learning to reload

GAGunGalGAGunGal Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
How do you learn to reload? Is it something you can easily pick up from a book or do you really need to have someone there who knows what they are doing to help you get started?

Comments

• 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suppose you could learn from a book, however it would speed things up to have an experienced reloader show you how to get started correctly. Most reloaders that i know are more than happy to help out someone new at the reloading game. They will probably have some tips and shortcuts to show you that they have picked up along the way. I know i sure appreciate the old fellow who helped me get started about 50 years ago.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you're loading just to blast and blow stuff up, you can learn all you need from a book. If you're loading for precision and accuracy, you're gonna need an experienced eye watching over your shoulder and explaining "what's between the lines" that the books don't come out and really explain. Unless you read those types (yes, they're different) of books too.
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This analogy applies: while learnig the machinest trade I went to school, read everything I could lay my hands on and then I got a summer apprentice job working with a man who had been a master tool & die maker since the days when all the machines were driven by overhead belts. He taught me things that had my "certified" instructors shaking their heads and saying why didn't I ever think of that!
    Read and absorb all you can & then seek out someone who has been there - done that. Best of luck.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GaGungal,

Leaning to reload is nothing to get all gaga-gaga about, GaGunGal. (sorry-- I'll get my coat and go now).

Ok, back to serious and your worthy question. And that is the key: keep asking questions! My experience with rifle & pistol reloading, (I know not of shotgun shell reloading), began first and foremost with buying my ol' RCBS Rockchucker kit and componets from a local & reputable shop.

Yes, I paid a bit more with them, yet they were always there with any questions and had the answers. (Today, for cost saving, perhaps purchase from a bigger supplier, even on-line, yet if you can buy some of your componets, like primers, powder, dies, whatever, from a knowedgble local shop to keep them in the loop, all the better).

Whatever, however, do purchase known & established name brands-- Dillon, RCBS, etc. HOMEWORK TIME! Oh, also, there are good reloading forums on-line with folks eager to assist a new learner.

Reloading itself is pretty basic stuff, myself having learned from the written material supplied with the set up kit purchased. And with a good reloading manual, which is a must-have, such as published by Hornady, Speer, etc.

There are just a few steps in the process, and the written material lays it out where even a simpleton as myself when a young man found not at all daunting. So, your question, yes, it can be easy to pick up that way,(my opine and experience).
    That said, having an experienced person along side, as already stated above, is of course very benficial.

Basic rules I do use are the same self-made rules I set for shooting and riding motorcyle: Never reload when tired, smoking, drinking, in a hurry, or whatever else may take my mind off from full attention, and of course-- safety first always. And reloading is loads safer than cyclying!

Hope you enjoy,
    45er
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Books are good, vidio's might be even better, but experence has its merrits. Some cartridges are harder to load than others, some tools are easier to use also.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Get the newest Lyman Reloading Handbook and read it through two or three times. IF you know someone close to you that reloads, all the better. You didn't say if you want to load pistol or rifle. Starting with stright wall pistol is easier than bottle neck rifle.
    Some manufactures have press kits that all you need is to add the brass, powder and bullets.
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned to reload from a few books, as I had no one to show me the ropes. Having said that, I know I'm still learning. That's part of the fun.
    Forums such as this one are a good source for tips if you've got no one to help you. However, I don't readily accept load recipes I've gotten on-line. I prefer to trust the powder makers and reloading manuals. And I always check multiple sources, becasue anyone can make a mistake. Accurate and Alliant have customer service ballisticians that have helped me out, I suspect other powder makers do as well.
    In any event, have fun with your reloading.
    GH1[:)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I learned by reading a few reloading manuals and then having a friend walk me through the whole process the first time. I have since gleaned information from NUMEROUS resources...and certain folks here on GB have been the most helpful resource I've found.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GAGunGal
    How do you learn to reload? Is it something you can easily pick up from a book or do you really need to have someone there who knows what they are doing to help you get started?

My 2 cents- Find a GOOD and experienced reloader to help you get started.

Not trying to sound mean, But right out of the get bad habits and practice's start on the first day of reloading. If you have someone helping/coaching it will save you a ton of grief.

Read my sticky at the top.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's an easy to read book that goes in depth into reloading:
    http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781440213960

I'd recommend you or anyone interested in shooting read it even if you never reload.

1440213968_l.gif
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    The above pretty much covers the subject, just a few comments.

With the internet and forums like this it is much easier then in the past. You might also wish to contact "Rockyraab" on this forum, as I have read much of his stuff and he has some good formal information. (wish the internet was around 50 years ago, because I learned from a book only, and I am really learning a lot from this forum)

My advise is after doing the reading and getting some gear, start with one type round and perfect that, then go to others. I think you'll find shotgun the easiest, then pistol, and rifle can be quite an experience.

Great to have a Mentor, but if not available it can be done by following the books. Got questions, ask the forum, opinions are free.