In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage model 11 Long Range in .308

RES1961RES1961 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
New to boards and was wondering if anyone owns one of these. Just wanted a little honest feedback before a purchase. This is the accustock, accutrigger model. Adjustable comb,ect. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    norgexxxnorgexxx Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think this is the one that the Savage team won the 2010 Long Range Championship with last year. I personally own a slightly older one that doesn't have the current accu-trigger or accu-stock of today in 7mm RemMag. But it does have Savages med.heavy drilled barrel (which IMHO is what really makes the Savage accurate, the rest of the whiz-bang stuff just helps the shooter shoot accurately, know what I mean?) And this 60yo old fart put an old Leatherwood scope (from my USMC days) on it and it will kill you at 700yds with no problem, and I hear the new ones are even better. Savage is the most under-rated maker of super accurate off the rack rifles out there,and this year they have the National Championship trophy to prove it, and most their shooters are just the guys who work in the factory, no paid professional types. Google it. You could sure do worse, altho this is a REAL good place to get some heated arguments going about who can get you the most accurate rifle for the money. In the end it will boil down to; what you feel comfortable with you will shot the most accurately, all thing being equal. If you get it, just break it in right, clean after every shot for the first 15-20 and look for copper again after 30, clean if necessary and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    RES1961RES1961 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx norgexxx, sometimes its nice to talk to other owners and get feedback before buying. I do break all my weapons in as you stated and fire lapping is the way to go. Ever tried Tubbs Final Finish? Was impressed with it on a 22-250 I broke in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Neve used tubbs or tried fire-lapping, guess I'm getting to be one of the 'old dogs' we used to talk about not learning new tricks. In the late 90s' I started to use a fine lapping compound more to polish the throat and remove copper then to actually alter the surface of the bore, altho I guess that was a little bit of a side benefit. Have read positive things about fired-lapping, but have also listened to some horror stories from some trusted & experienced shooters. And as with any subject about shooting, I reckon this is something that can provoke strong reactions pro & con. Just can't bring myself to shoot abrasives down the barrel of a new rifle, may be I'm a bit old fashioned, but it just don't seem right....but if you've got a system figured out that works for you,..well have at 'er!! Me I'll just stick to ammonia based copper removers, (and try to remember when NOT to breathe IN...LOL) and my lapping compound for the tough ones. That said tho, the plasma formed in the throat at the onset of ignition is still the finest remover of reamer marks that initiate the transfer of copper from projectile to bore, so generally speaking, scrubbing out the copper after each shot or two, and letting the plasma do its thing is often the easiest way to go....and remember there are still thousands of match records still standing that were fired by rifles that were broke in that way, so it can't be all bad. Fire-lapping sounds like a dandy time-saver, but I just don't have the guts to try it on one of my rifles, maybe I'll see if someone will let me try it on theirs!! LOL
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Want to ask a favor also; If'n you get your hands on that new Savage, and get 'er all 'accu-tweaked' (pun-intended) for your best shooting and have a few hundred rounds down the tube; let me know how she groups at range and what bullets she eats best. Love the 7RemMag, still think it is one of the most under-rated long-range cartridges ever made, but the mild report and recoil of the .308 Winny become more attractive with each passing year...so keep in touch.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would never run sandpaper down my bore, that is what firelapping basicaly is. I have read articles that state it is fine for cleaning up old, rough barrels though. They also stated that muzzle velocity dropped by some amount after firelapping.

I use ring lapping compound on a tight patch with a coated cleaning rod.