In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 780 Supreem.

RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
Anybody using 780? I was think about trying it in my Ruger 77, 25-06. The only Winchester powder that I ever used is 748 and it shoots and meters great for one of my 308's.

Comments

• DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would expect that Win 780 would not give optimal performance in a 25-06.

Years ago, when IRM introduced 7828, I tried it in a 25-06. Working up a load, shooting over a chronograph, the velocity increased as I went up incrimentally up to a certain point. When I reached this point, velocities went wild, with over 100 fps swings between shots. I decided that 7828 would be great for a BIG bore magnum, but not for the 25-06.

Without trying 780, I suspect that 760 is a much better suited powder for the 25-06.

If you decide to experiment with 780, use a chronograph to verify the results you get.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried it in a 7mm SAUM with 162gr SST's and it showed good promise. Good groups and good velocity, 2980fps. From a model 7, no long barrel, 22". I have not used much, bought several hundred 139 SST's on a sale and they prove very effective on white tails. When the game gets tough, it will be the first powder I'll go back to with heavy bullets in the SAUM.

Never loaded for the 25-06, but seems like a good powder to me. Not sure how temp sensitive. As good as W760, just slower burn rate. And gets good velocity.