In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1680 Loads for 300 AAC and cast bullets

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Looking for a recipe using 1680 and 150 grain cast bullets, I am not concerned about being subsonic. I like the 150 designed for a gas check much better than the 230 grain boat tail tumble lube offering from Lee.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None of my books have the 300AAC. The Lyman 311159 is a gas checked 109 gr that is very popular in a 30 Carbine or the 311410 130 gr plain base is also used.

I like the Guy Loverin designs best for cast rifle bullets - short ogive and lots of grease grovees (they shoot better IMHO). Lyman 311466 152gr for example. The 311413 169gr was at one time bullet of choice in the Springfield 30-06.

Sometimes you can find an undersize a mold with a "U" suffix or a 308xxx which might solve issues with the over sized bullets in a tight chamber rifle. Or use dedicated brass with thinner reamed/turned necks.

I think I have all of the above and a few others in 30 cal. When I got a Belgian BAR in 06, I started shooting Speer seconds. I would stop at the outlet store in Lewiston twice a year and buy all they had. It got to when I walk in the door, they guy would start sacking up stuff for me. Those were the good old days when primers were like $5.90 a thousand and H4831 or H4895 was less than $3 per pound. I shoot lots of them.

They might have data. http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

I shot lots of 5744 with cast bullets in the 44 mag, it was my favorite powder until they changed it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using AA1680 for some loads(none are cast lead)and it seems to work OK but not exceptional. Not sure if it's the powder or just bullet incompatibility, but AA1680 loads aren't as accurate as WW296/H110.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked my load records. I was using RE-7 for it but am out now. I guess I'll just suck it up and use 4198.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Look into powder coating those cast bullets. I shoot a gas checked powder coated cast 59gr. RCBS 5.56 bullets with a full charge of Win 748. No leading or residue, these bullets are shot from my Colt 6920 and 10.5" SBR both with 1/7 twists. Good accuracy and cheap to shoot![:)]

I still size and lube for handgun, and I even powder coat size and lube for magnum handgun rounds. Cast rifle bullets are far superior when powder coated, velocities can match those of jacketed bullets.[:)]

All you need is a cheap toaster oven, powder coat and a tumbler. I use harbor freight red powder coat, it is cheap.

There are dozens of youtube videos on powder coating cast bullets, check em' out![:)]