In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loose primer pockets

laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
What causes primer pockets to loosen
after 2-3 reloads? Federal brass 308 win with
light load (44 gr) varget.

Comments

• gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excessive pressure.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with Federal casings is that they have "looser" primer pockets than some other manufactures. What brand primers are you using?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    laylandad,

"Federal brass 308 win with
    light load (44 gr) varget."

Actually, in your example, I would tell you that it's Federal's soft brass.

In other examples, you could also consider that the chamber may be oversize and allows the brass to expand too much in the area of the head.

I've seen both...

Best.
  • laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 76k20
    My experience with Federal casings is that they have "looser" primer pockets than some other manufactures. What brand primers are you using?

I'm using CCI BR2 primers right now, but it's the same with Federal and Win primers.

I suppose I will eventually replace what brass I have with another brand. Any suggestions?
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by laylandad
    quote:Originally posted by 76k20

I'm using CCI BR2 primers right now, but it's the same with Federal and Win primers.

I suppose I will eventually replace what brass I have with another brand. Any suggestions?

Most match shooters are using Lapua brass, however many prefer Winchester for it's workability.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    laylandad,

In other examples, you could also consider that the chamber may be oversize and allows the brass to expand too much in the area of the head.

I've seen both...

Best.

The load that I've been using is(by all my data) is middle of the road! It's 168 gr Nosler BT, 44 gr varget and BR2 primer. Thanks for your info. I will try other brands.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excessive pressure. will expand the web area and pockets. 308brassina243pinchedbullet.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The load that I've been using is(by all my data) is middle of the road! ...

Means nothing if you are seating your bullets too deep. Check and double check your OAL.

Loose pockets after 2 reloads is too fast, even with soft brass.
    edited November -1
    I will double check OAL. I have been seating to 2.80".
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Get some Winchester or LC brass. I had some of the same thing with Fed. 223.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    laylandad,

I've seen both...

Best.

I will concur with that. For various calibers I always sought out Federal to reload. I've traded hundreds of other brass for a hundred Fed .308 Match if I could. I first started finding it in the .257 +P's that I was coveting. They would shoot hot for me a reload or two then get hard to lock-n-load. After troubleshooting a bit it was a clear case of brass softness. After I switched to Winchester +p brass I didn't have the same problem.

One other reason people like Winchester is they make the necks thinner. The brass is overall lighter too {165 gr. vs. 180 gr.}. More charge and anneal necks and still get less problems with 10+ reloads. Super-potential accuracy is maintained. Lapua is still the best brass you can get though.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even with light loads I have found that federal brass will loosen up the pockets. I won't use federal brass or primers because they are just to soft.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What causes primer pockets to loosen
    after 2-3 reloads? Federal brass 308 win with
    light load (44 gr) varget.

44gr of varget in a .308 is Not a light load on average. That is Nosler's data.

In my Rem 40x. 44-45gr of varget with a 28" bbl and a 165gn BT I am pressing my luck with pressure and accuracy and it ain't working. Work the ladder between 42-43, Just my 2 cents.

My pet is 43.8 Varget w/155gn A-max Br2 primer Lapua brass.