In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

408 chey tac

ericmericm Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I just sold my 338 Lapua and now i want to go bigger. I'm thinking 408 chey tac but my question is will i need a 1.5" press for this round. I would also do a 416 Barrett but I think I have to have a bigger press for that one. Any help would be great.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ericm,

The case length is 3.039" and the OAL is 4.515" so do a little measuring on your press.

Most of these dies are custom made. The dies themselves are usually made on 1" threaded stock so you'll need to switch out the 7/8" adapter for the larger 1" adapter.

If you thought the .338 Lapua was expensive, hold onto your hat!

Best.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    nononsense I thought the die size larger than 7/8 was the 1 1/4 diameter dies?
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy

You're correct insofar as 'standard' dies are concerned. Most, if not all of the .408 C-T dies are custom and I mean that in the truest sense of the word. They are made by the gunsmith when an individual customer needs them for a particular rifle. My understanding is that 1" stock is used because of the 0.642" web diameter. I made my own and used 1" stock then made an adapter for my press.

I'm sure one of the end users will add their information if you contact them:

http://www.blackdiamondrifles.com/Custom_Reloading_Dies.html

Best.
  • ericmericm Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. I will check my press and see if the round will fit in it. The cost doesn't bother me I will only probably put 100 rounds a year through it. The Black Diamond dies look good. I have been checking the rifles out. I really like the 338 snipetac. If I could throw a 300 grn Berger at 3500 I would probably just do one of those. Shooting 338 bullets is probably cheaper than 408 bullets.
    edited November -1
    my press is no where near big enough! I might just go with the 416 barrett if I have to buy a new press anyway. I can pick up a Barrett single shot fairly cheap buy my press and dies and still maybe be under the cost of a custom rifle.
    edited November -1
    ericm,

If you lean towards the Barrett, I suggest securing your brass and bullets first since Ronnie has experienced notoriously bad logistics with both suppliers. There is nothing worse than owning a rifle that you can't get ammunition or components for.

Personally, I'm working on the .375/408 for some longer range testing. Lehigh has bullets as does GS Custom out of South Africa. Gerard has directed his daughter and her husband to open a manufacturing facility in the US this year. This will short cut delivery and some of the outrageous costs of doing business with SA.

Best.
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info. i may just hold off on doing anything for now. i am going to look at new trucks today so it may set me back a couple months on doing anything.