In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Will I still be safe? (Reduced load question)

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
I have loaded hundreds of the Lyman 170 gr RN lead bullets in my 30/30 over 8 gr of Unique.
Well, I ran out of my supply.

I do have on hand some 165 gr lead bullets, unknown manufacturer.

1. Will the 8 gr of Unique work?

2. This bullet is a flat nose vs. the Lyman RN, so will my RCBS seater die still work?

Thanks!

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    5gr lighter bullet weight will just give you a few FPS faster.
    Probably a little less pressure.
    The bullet seater should be universal, unless you have a older die set with different top punches.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you!

I have a 3 yr old RCBS die set, so tonight I'll try it out.

This has given my old Win Model 94 new life as now my kids can shoot the reduced loads with ease, and it's printing 7" groups at 100 yards with the Williams peep sights.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have to adjust the seater a tiny bit to get the crimp in the right spot, but the load will be safe.

For a really fun load, try 10 Unique under the 100-gr Speer Plinker, a half-jacket roundnose. Fabulous accuracy, almost no recoil or blast and simply a hoot to shoot. Deadly on pest critters, too! Hornady makes a very similar bullet, but I like the Speer better. Both are the cheapest bullets in their lineup, and that's a very good thing the way kids can go through them!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky!

I'll find some.

BTW- I use Lee's FCD in a separate operation to get the crimp.

My wife shot through 50 rounds of .30/30 last weekend!

Before downloading the rounds, she never would have shot 2 in a row!

[;)]