In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dupont powder

bigdaddy75069bigdaddy75069 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
I have a old oan of dupont 6251 powder from an estate sale.Can anyone tell me what the powder was used for? Pistol or rifle loads? The power is really old but still sealed and I would like to reload with it if it fits any of my recipies or at least try it out on a few loads.Cant find any info on the internet for it.
Thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats one I never heard of. Risking limb and gun for at most $20 doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Nitro powder will go bad in a sealed can, usually takes a while.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a bunch of reloading manuals from the 1930's up but due to hunting season it will be Sunday before Ican do the research. Will advise if I find anything.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you go by IMR powder numbers, it is a slow burning for heavy rifle loads. IMR changed from DuPont years ago.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not even consider using that powder for anything other than lighting the trash on fire. If there is no information on the internet that can be found then you can pretty much bet it is not intended for you to load and shoot in a gun.

As stated why risk you life over 20 bucks worth of unknown powder?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I would not even consider using that powder for anything other than lighting the trash on fire. If there is no information on the internet that can be found then you can pretty much bet it is not intended for you to load and shoot in a gun.

As stated why risk you life over 20 bucks worth of unknown powder?

Agreed,

It isn't like old powders had anywhere near the useful properties of todays powders. That's a lot of better performance AND insurance.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow I can't find any thing. Have some that go back to #15 and #17&1/2 powder. The more I look the more I think DUPONT must have made this for a military shell loading and the scheme of numbers that they used with 4 digits. They have not made powder for reloading for many years my best Guess is it is for 20MM or such they most times used larger numbers for slower burn rate.but nothing with a 4 digit starting in a 6. . I concur DON'T take a chance.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have old books too. You gotta love the 1/2, it means tin added to the powder. 2 of my favorite cans are a Dupont 4Fg still full and a High Vel(ocity) #3.