In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Where in the hell is the powder

molarmakermolarmaker Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
Started reading and learning all I can on Handloading 4 months ago, buying supplies equipment, saving all my brass, got cast bullets.
Now I can find a powder that I like, here and there and primers here and there, but do I have to take out a mortgage to pay all the Hazmat crap. Does anyone have a secret supplier, gone through the internet over and over, never knew a commodity to be like this without a national disaster

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Every time there is a MASS SHOOTING or a Dumbacrat gets elected. There is a run on firearms and ammo In the years since OBAMA has been elected and today Most Gun Owners have decided to STOCK up on both guns /ammo and supplies. Powder Primers and Bullets are all needed by ammo makers and the makers of Powder and primers could not keep up. as ammo and supplies got harder to find the Panic started and got worst with each shooting. Plants to make this stuff cost big $$$ and long lead time. Makers though it would be a short term shortage and did not want to invest in new plants so it just got worst and WORST. . Some buy not many Items have slowly started to become available but Pistol powder is still in short supply some people saw it coming before this 5 + year shortage and stocked up and others like myself just increased our supply of powder primers and bullets or lead to make bullets because prices had started to rise at a rate greater than increase in value of investment . I was one of those. Not smart just lucky. At 72 I most likely will never have to purchase another round of ammo or supplies to load my own.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few weeks back I went by the local Sportsman Warehouse. Reasonably good selection of primers and bullets even some new brass. Rifle powder they had maybe 50+ pounds of about 10 flavors $20 to 30/#. 0 shotgun or pistol powder. I haven't seen any on the shelf for years.

Do you have any ranges or clubs nearby? Sometimes you can get stuff on group buys. HazMat fee's add a lot, so you to fill the biggest box that they will ship in.

The auction side had reseller's for powder at up to double or triple cost but they did have some for sale.

I just search for Unique http://www.GunBroker.com/Ammunition-Reloading/BI.aspx?Keywords=unique
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Check here and see if they have what you are looking for [;)]

https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|283
  • molarmakermolarmaker Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great info, GB makes you work a little harder than I remember, Are there any groups in south west Florida
    Thanks again
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oddly enough powder and primers are available now just about everywhere I go. Not all you might want but enough to get by.

Look for UNIQUE, BULLSEYE, TITE GROUP and medium burn powders for rifle like 4064 and 4895. Those powders will keep you shooting just about anything that goes bang.

Stop at every store you can keep looking don't give up.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Reloading-Supplies/BI.aspx

Try this site.. l hear they have just about EVERYTHING [:D]
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 100+ lbs. of powder in my shop. When I order its put on backorder and when it arrives I get about 10 or 155 OF WHAT I HAD ORDERED.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Like has been mentioned, you better learn to hoard.

I used to buy 1 pound of Bullseye at a time, it lasts very well. Then I ran out! Could not find it. When I did, I bought 4 pounds. 1 pound went to a buddy that was out, 3 pounds for me.

Same with primers.

Primers and powder always maintain a 5 year supply, minimum. When things runout, you and your buddies can trade amongst yourselves.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We "loaded up" early this year when a big chain store must have got in all their backordered powder. They were selling at pre-mania prices and we bought over $800 worth. I've only opened 1 can so far but reloading season is approaching.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    The QUANTITY of powder available in my area is not the problem, the SELECTION is. Many of the more "popular" and or "exotic" powders a re not available locally. Fortunately, I am able to but small amounts of what I (usually) need for testing from my reloading mentors, who buy in bulk on a fairly regular basis.
    Good advice has been given in that you should buy some of the more versatile powders (such as 4895 or 4064) which will keep you shooting until you're able to find what you REALLY want.
    The only way to swallow the HazMat charges (IMHO) is by buying in bulk, whether that's through a group buy, etc.
    Best of luck on your search and welcome to "the dark side" (reloading)

~Z