In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tight primers in .223/5.56

max2005max2005 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
Gents:

Recently obtained a Hornady LNL progressive press. Not too shabby, but seating primers is probably the weak link with this design. I've always used a hand priming tool because you can "feel" the seating better, and with tight fits you can usually get the job done. I just tried loading my first batch of .223 on this and had all kinds of problems seating primers in some tight military cases.

Now, before you jump to the crimp issue, all these cases were deprimed and then run through the RCBS tool that swages out the military crimp. While I read up and discovered Lake City and other .223 might need to be "uniformed" because their pockets are too shallow, that's not my problem - it's too tight of pockets to begin with.

Anyone have any ideas on how to address this? I would think someone makes a cutter that uniforms the depth, removes crimps, and also uniforms the width......????

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I had the RCBS press mounted swager for about 20 minutes. I didn't like it.

I find chamfering the pocket with a countersink tool mounted in a 3/8" drive variable speed drill to be much faster. Still, some cases have a tight pocket and you have to wince and force the primer in.

Maybe the Dillon 600 would do a better job of swaging the entire pocket?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never liked the rcbs unit. A good clip blade pocket knife will cut out the crimp as rapidly and nicely as anything. I have the antique version of this Lyman product. The cutter head is shaped different, it doesn't make the pocket deeper, just cuts the sides. It will do a crimp, but not as easily as a knife.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/primer-pocket-uniformer.php
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried the RCBS and didn't like it at all. Dillon 600 will remove the primer pocket crimp to the point of making the pocket oversized.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I just use a VLD reamer, mounted at one of the stations in my case prep center. Once you've developed a "feel" for it, producing very consistent primer pockets is quite easy....YMMV