In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is Blue Dot different?

WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
Based on several recipies, including Ken Waters Pet Loads, I bought a pound of of Blue Dot, now made/marked by Alliant.

I loaded 13 gr. with Rem 21 1/2 primer under a 240 gr. Rem JSP, and 12.5 gr. under a Laser Cast 240 BB. I'm a little under-impressed: while accurate, there was significant un-burned powder and lots of flame. I was shooting a 4" S&W Mdl 21. Alas, I did not have a chronograph that day.

I know, maybe I c[?]ould be using Magnum primers. But few (any?) Blue Dot recipes call for same, and I really don't want to stress a very nice Mdl 21.

I'm wondering, in light of the warnings for low-weight .357 loads, if Blue Dot is a little slower than in the past. Any thoughts/experience?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you put a heavy roll crimp on them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Define heavy; I did use a roll crimp, and it's tucked into the crimping groove. Not a taper crimp.
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to have some hot load recipes for my GP100, is was a good load that was accurate and if you happen to be standing within ten feet of it you could feel the blast. was always fun at the range...
    if I rem it was always kinda dirty but I didn't mind I don't recall unburnt powder though.
    Richard
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I was shooting a 4" S&W Mdl 21"..........you should expect this in a short barrel (unburned powder), with any 'slower' powder.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not up on S&W model numbers. Is that a 44 Special or Magnum?

Blue Dot is like any other powder in that it has a preferred burning range. Pressure, bullet weight, bullet pull and other factors must be met before the powder burns efficiently. START loads often do not reach ideal conditions for a given powder, so you might see unburned flakes or even sooted cases.

Do NOT use magnum primers with Blue Dot - and in fact using magnum primers to "clean up" a poorly burning load is almost always a bad idea. If yours was a START load, you should see your symptoms clear up as the charge is increased.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your loads for 44 spec. seem to be running at near maximum pressure. These loads will not get cleaner. Blue Dot is just a dirty powder that leaves stuff behind, more so with a cast bullet. Great shotgun powder. Take note that Alliant does not list Blue Dot for the caliber on there website, there is a reason for this.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Replies:
    Mdl 21 is 44 Spl; this revolver was new a couple of years ago, and all my reading indicates that it is the same N frame as the Mdl 29/44 Mag, except for the chamber length. So I'm confident of its strength.

A footnote: some months ago, I queried Alliant about this, and at their request, sent them some loaded cartridges, but have not heard from them.

Actually, Blue Dot is listed by Alliant for 44 Spl: they suggest 10.2 gr. with Speer's 240 JHP (http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=240&shellid=32&bulletid=50. Also, other printed guides do so, including Lee & Lyman, but I have to admit my initial enthusiasm was stoked by Ken Waters.

Thanks to all who responded; back to 2400!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't find 2400 any cleaner. Worse, perhaps. If you want a REALLY clean-burning load with a 240-gr cast bullet, try 6.0 American Select for 900 fps and SD numbers in single digits. AMSEL is quickly becoming my favorite cast-bullet powder in a number of revolver rounds. Simply wonderful.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, 1 load for Blue Dot.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]