In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting Beta Chrony

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
Anyone get ERR1 and ERR2 alot on there Beta? I just got this chrony not long ago and haven't figured it out yet.

Comments

• zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the battery is OK, your alignment is not correct. The bullet must pass over the 2 openings to interrupt the light entering. Move chrony left or right, higher or lower. Stand behind gun and sight along barrel to center bullet path over lens. Chrony should be 8 to 12 feet from muzzle.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe ERR1 is the bullet missing the first sensor but passing over the second sensor, and ERR2 is passing over the first sensor but missing the second sensor. Like zimmden said, your alignment may be off.

What are the light conditions while using the Chrony? Are you using the light diffusers? Bright sunlight, cloud cover, indoors/outdoors etc?? What caliber are you shooting? Large muzzle blast can affect the readings some.

22LR is cheap and easy to start with and keeps you from burning up more expensive ammo until you get set up and on track, especially if you are new to using the Chrony.

Hope this helps!
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was bright and sunny today. I was using 7mm rem mag usually when I get an error. I normaly reset the chrony and fire .22lr over it before I continue with the magnum rounds. It ticks me off that I get the errors when I'm doing load developement and miss a velocity of a shot. I guess that's the learning curve.

I kept blowing the white plastic pieces off w/ muzzle blast when I first used it,now it's set back about 12ft.

quote:Originally posted by 76k20
    I believe ERR1 is the bullet missing the first sensor but passing over the second sensor, and ERR2 is passing over the first sensor but missing the second sensor. Like zimmden said, your alignment may be off.

What are the light conditions while using the Chrony? Are you using the light diffusers? Bright sunlight, cloud cover, indoors/outdoors etc?? What caliber are you shooting? Large muzzle blast can affect the readings some.

22LR is cheap and easy to start with and keeps you from burning up more expensive ammo until you get set up and on track, especially if you are new to using the Chrony.

Hope this helps!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tape a white walmart bag between the front and rear screen and see if that goes away.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    It was bright and sunny today. I was using 7mm rem mag usually when I get an error. I normaly reset the chrony and fire .22lr over it before I continue with the magnum rounds. It ticks me off that I get the errors when I'm doing load developement and miss a velocity of a shot. I guess that's the learning curve.

I kept blowing the white plastic pieces off w/ muzzle blast when I first used it,now it's set back about 12ft.

Place a wrap of electrical tape 1/2 inch down from the top of the V bars align your HORIZONTAL cross hair with the TOP of the tape, the vertical with the center of the Chrony. This should place your bullet at the correct height to be seen. The error codes you are getting are the screens not seeing the bullet 1 for front, 2 for rear.

Make dang sure you do not have it twisted L or R, the bars need to align in the scope and look the same right and left. On bright sunny days tape a walmart bag over both screen diffusers, it allows the screen to see the shadow of the bullet better.

Set the chrony out further too. With big muzzle blasting magnums you might need 15 feet to prevent false readings.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me be sure i'm understanding you correctly. The electic tape is used to align the horiz. because the scope is on the tape and barrel is ~1.5" below?

quote:Originally posted by bpost

Place a wrap of electrical tape 1/2 inch down from the top of the V bars align your HORIZONTAL cross hair with the TOP of the tape, the vertical with the center of the Chrony. This should place your bullet at the correct height to be seen. The error codes you are getting are the screens not seeing the bullet 1 for front, 2 for rear.

Make dang sure you do not have it twisted L or R, the bars need to align in the scope and look the same right and left. On bright sunny days tape a walmart bag over both screen diffusers, it allows the screen to see the shadow of the bullet better.

Set the chrony out further too. With big muzzle blasting magnums you might need 15 feet to prevent false readings.
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

quote:Originally posted by 76k20

Hope this helps!

There's your problem, IT's too close the blast is messing with the eyes. I typically set mine a minimum of 25ft (even with a 380) and put white paper over where the middle diffuser piece is, that way If I hit it, the paper will tear without messing anything up