In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5 x 52 Italian

diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
Does anyone have a diagram showing the OAL of the brass. I have some brass made from Societa Metallurgica Italiana (SMI ) 1936. The OAL is 2.07 but the lit. on the 55 lists 2.165. I am hoping that the 6.5 x 52 is 2.07. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was part of a collection, I was trying to identify the brass so I could sell it if it has value. Thanks
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Immaterial. It's berdan primed, and with boxer primed brass readily available, few will want to bother. Most vintage 6.5 Italian I have had has also needed annealing or it would split.

Won't saying you won't get anything for it but whatever the length may be, if it's SMI 36, and 6.5, it's surely 6.5 Carcano brass.
  • diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help, by the way what do you do with old brass ? Is there somewhere to sell un-useable brass.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    " Is there somewhere to sell un-useable brass."....sure, local scrap yard. C.O.W. lists a case lenght of 2.05" with o.a.l. of 3.02"
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SoreShoulder
    I have been exploring the idea of converting berdan primed brass.

Brass is pretty high these days.

However, 100 newly manufactured boxer primed 6.5x52 cases cost less than $50 so that puts a definite upper limit on what you could get.

Converting Berdan to Boxer is possible- basically a pocket reamer is run into the primer pocket, cutting away the anvil and truing up the pocket; then to facilitate the decap rod, a hole is drilled in the middle of the pocket.

THE MAIN PROBLEM with all of this (in addition to being very labor intensive) is that there are now more holes in the web between the primer and the powder, which results in the primer having greater affect. So if using such reworked cases, it is necessary to start well below previous maximum loads and creep up.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Actually, if you do go the conversion route, Italian brass is easier to convert than most; it uses a central flash hole through a large dome shaped anvil, instead of the usual 2 flasholes on either side of a peg shaped anvil. The further issue though is, the .217 Berdan pocket is larger than the standard boxer primer. Additional head work to rectify this is also needed, with the use of a chromium or other very hard bearing being used to peen down the sides followed by a final reaming. And it still isn't 100 percent reliable.