In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5x55 headstamp ?

Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
Howdy,

I picked up a CZ 550 American in 6.5x55 recently, and I have been stumbling from gun shop to gun shop looking for ammo or brass. I found a bag of 90 once-fired cases for 10 bucks out at a mom and pop LGS in the Ca desert so I bought it. Inside about half were PMC cases, and the other ones marked "FNM 6.5x55 TARGET"

Are these FNM cases good to reload, or were they the wooden-bullet popgun-practice casings you see on Sportsmans Guide every once in a while?

Also, I picked up some Speer 140 and Nosler Ballistic Tip 120 grainers, and I Midway-ordered a box of Barnes 127 LRX as well. When I got the LRX I saw the 1"88" twist rate on the box... The CZ has (I believe) a 1"-8.66" twist? (I sure may be wrong!) If anyone has an educated guess, will the LRX be all over the place?

Thanks!

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FNM is Portuguese. I have a case of FNM 8mm.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    F?brica Nacional de Muni??es de Armas Ligeiras, Chelas, Portugal
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Riomouse911,

A quick check on my calculator suggests that you should only need a twist rate of 1:9.5" based on modern velocities of this cartridge as opposed to the ancient velocities for the 96 Swedish Mausers.

Best.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I haven't seen those before. I was thinking they may have been the practice ammo cases, but apparently they're good to go. I guess I'll give them a shot. [:)]

I also typoed the twist rate, it's is 1"-8" not 1"-88" on the box of Barnes LRX. Like most 6.5mm bullets they're really long, but they also sport a substantial boat-tail making them really long and thin. Hopefully the CZ keeps them on paper.

I'll load some up and see if they stay true or start to keyhole.