In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which progressive?

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
been looking into getting a progressive press.

Which one should I get? I like Lee stuff but I heard that Lee's progressive only handles handgun brass and 223s.

I reload up to and including 30-06. any progressive that can handle that?

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Dillon

will it handle the '06 and 7 mag?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    + 1 on Dillon and yes some models will also load Normal rifle size cartridges. NOT 50BMG that take a special Dillon press.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another +1 for a Dillon. Cry once.
  • .410shooter.410shooter Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the dillon 550 will load almost every rifle cartridge out there. The only way to go,true blue.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Dillon 550

FIXED IT [;)]
    The Dillon 550 or 650 will do rifle and pistol.
    edited November -1
    Dillon's are expensive. what about the Hornady's Lock and Load or an RCBS prog?
  • mk19mk19 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, the Dillions are VERY inexpensive, especially when
    You consider Dillions lifetime, no questions asked, no BS,
    forever warentee, try that when a cheeper press breaks.
    I don't know about you, but I'm to poor to buy cheep stuff,
    buy once, buy right and never worry
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy Dillon. Its the best there is and they don't fool around. If you break something totally your fault. No problem they will send you what ever you need. no problem free. If you reload a bunch of calibers you can mix or match conversion kits so you don't have to buy individual kits. If you reload a lot of pistol cals you can use a 1050 reloader powder die and it will work for most pistols cals in your 550b. In the long run its the only way to go. I can reload 100 45acp in anout 20 mins. and not hurry doing it. Only caution, buy it from a certified dealer so you don't have to prove your ownership. If you buy second hand they don't like to deal with you. Also if you wear out the press all you have to do is send it to Dillon and they will fix or replace with new. In eather case its like having a new press and this is lifetime.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 550 & 650, bought out a reloading room and got the 550 in that pile of stuff, used. Dillon still treats me the same on both. They don't care where you got it.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Another vote for Dillon. The saying above "Cry Once" is Right.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll go against the blue tide here. The Hornady LNL press is what I use. It is very good quality and easy to change caliburs.

Their customer service has been as good. I broke my decapping pin on a die from them being stupid. Called them to buy one and they said "no, we'll just ship one".

I think you'll be very happy with "Red". As long as its Hornady. Dillion does make nice stuff, but the LnL is just much more bang for the buck.
    edited November -1
    If I go with Dillon, don't I have to use their kits/dies, i.e. the dies I have now won't work with a Dillon, correct?

Is this also true of the LNL from Hornady?
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon 650...great machine , you will not look back
    the 650 will use any std dies.. yes there are extras you will want to , or need to buy..still well worth it. just finished loading 700 9m/m really took my time and still took only 2 hrs
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    If I go with Dillon, don't I have to use their kits/dies, i.e. the dies I have now won't work with a Dillon, correct?

I've got a Dillon 550 and I'm running RCBS dies in it. Seems to work just fine. You do need the conversion kits for the specific calibers you're loading.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skyfish
    I'll go against the blue tide here. The Hornady LNL press is what I use. It is very good quality and easy to change caliburs.

Their customer service has been as good. I broke my decapping pin on a die from them being stupid. Called them to buy one and they said "no, we'll just ship one".

I think you'll be very happy with "Red". As long as its Hornady. Dillion does make nice stuff, but the LnL is just much more bang for the buck.

I sent Hornaday two emails requesting additional information on the product, do std dies work, warranty and primer detonation safety system. I never heard back from them on either email.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older Hornady Projector and have had since 1980 without a problem. I use RCBS, Weatherby, and Hornady dies. Unfortunately, it is not upgradable to the LNL

I gather that there is an adapter the is put on each die. After adjusting the die, you can the entire adapter and die can be installed and removed without ever having to adjust the die.

What I have works, so in my case there is no reason to spend the additional funds to get another press.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

I've got a Dillon 550 and I'm running RCBS dies in it. Seems to work just fine. You do need the conversion kits for the specific calibers you're loading.

This is correct. Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, Lee, whatever dies you may have, will all work in the Dillon press as long as they're not an abnormal thread. The caliber conversion kit is pretty much just a "rotating shell plate" for whatever caliber you're loading. You will need to get these from Dillon. I'm pretty sure Hornady has a similar setup requiring their parts to be bought from them.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any std die will work in a Hornady LnL. Each will take a bushing, but then take seconds to change.

I like mine would buy again.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "which progressive?".......DILLON, std. dies, fastest cal. change with thier 'die blocks' (2 pins). very safe, and liftime (the press, not you) warranty.
  • redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon...I have had my 650 for 10 years and I love it!!!
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady LnL AP

yes std dies will need a bushing if you want 30 sec caliber changing or if you want 3min change you can use the same 4 bushings and just screw the old die in and new die out really simple

Hornady has the same warranty for their products as dillon

I crushed and broke the case retention spring (totally my fault) I called to order a new one they sent me 2 for FREE!

the LnL is a tank and will never wear out in 10 lifetimes. I had a 450 dillon and when I was looking to upgrade

I was looking at anything not dillon, I just never got hooked on the blue kool-aid
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy Dillon's progressive presses and never look back - best customer service & support out there.
    I am a big fan of Lee dies. They work just fine in my RL 550B.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • .410shooter.410shooter Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first progressive was a Lock and Load, worked with it for hours the day I got it, never seated a primer correctly. Spent hours on the phone with Hornady tech people, re-adjusted the press every which way it could be adjusted with no success. Final disposition: a Hornady tech person told me "maybe you do not have the technical ability to use a progressive reloader". I took the POS back to the store where I got it, and ordered my Dillon 550 the same day. Had my dillon forever and finally had my first problem, a stripped thread on the primer feeder assy. covered by warranty no charge. All I can say is thanks Hornady for pointing me in the right direction!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It appears that I'm all alone here, but that's been the case before.

I've been using a Load Master for 15 years, loaded 1000's of rounds and other than occasionally having to repair the primer feeder I've had no problems. It will load all rifle cartridges except the .50BMG.
    The folks at Lee were very helpful when I first bought the press and went thru the learning curve. I assume they still are, but I've not spoken to them in years. No need to. I keep it cleaned and lubed and it keeps me in good spirits. I've loaded .223 and 7.62x39 on my loadmaster, but I've never loaded any hunting rounds on it. I use my single stage for precision rounds.

If I had waited until I could afford a Dillon 650, I'd most likely still be waiting. My best friend has a 650 and a 1050 and they're great presses, I've used them and admire them. However, that said they aren't any faster and don't hold any tighter tolerances than my Load Master. I do use Dillon dies for the .45acp and .38 super, they're easy to clean and it's quick to change from RN to wadcutter.

Whatever you do, don't hesitate to get started. Lee, Dillon, Hornaday or Star they all get the job done. Your results relfect your attention to the process. The easier the loding process the more you can and will shoot.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never been a big fan of progressive press's for rifle, Pistol stuff not bad.

I am a turret press kind of guy, I don't mind slow and go.