In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

storing reloading supplies long term

ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
I have my primers and powder in their original packing stored in the basement, locked in a small toolbox. The tempature ranges from 65-78 degrees and the humidity ranges from 50-70%. I am already using a dehumidifier down there. Is the humidity to much for long term storage? I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plastic Zip lock bags, purged of as much air as you can.

I don't believe that powder and primers 'de-gas', but I've been mistaken before.

I also store my brass and bullets in plastic bags.

I learned the hard way that cardboard boxes (for storage) might not be made of acid free 'paper', not to mention that cardboard will absorb moisture.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep my primers in their factory boxes in ammo cans with good seals. Usually 30 or 50 cal. size, clean dry and no oil/solvent residue. I keep the powder in the factory cans in wood ammo boxes. Must work, I'm still shooting stuff from the 70's.

Ziploc's are great. I keep a lot of bagged ammo in army cans or packs.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's pretty humid, but the dehimdifier should help a lot. I don't have humidity, but heqat is my issue. In the coolest part of my garage (this corner never gets over 80) I keep my primers in their boxes, placed in metal coffee cans with good lids. Primed and unprimed brass I keep in the plastic "folgers" coffee cans, and loaded ammo in .30 and .50 cal ammo cans.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powder in metal cans is not good. Primers hold up much better.Photos are IMR4895 IMR4895_20090928_1.jpgIMR4895_20090928_2.jpgIMR4895_20090928_3.jpg Just opened a can of IMR 4198. Its has reddish brown dust in it. Spot of rust on the inside of the cane. Powder is OK, as i have been shooting it.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red dust on powder is not a good sign.
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would vacuum seal work better under normal conditions?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hobo9650
    Would vacuum seal work better under normal conditions?

Absolutely! I have done (and have been) certified in what is called "Level A" packaging. In short, that is MIL-spec. long term storage packing for electronics, but also can be used on other items.[;)][8D]

How it's done-
    Vacuum seal your item place it in a cardboard box, add desiccants and whatever packing material. Seal box (All seams with duck tape) Place in another Vacuum bag and seal.

Place in final box. Sealed with duck tape. Store your stuff in the coolest, most Temp/environment stable part of your home.
  • ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for each of your replys and information. You guys are very helpful! Thanks again.